Finding an A/C leak

Old 03-15-06, 12:05 PM
Talking Finding an A/C leak

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about finding a leak in my A/C. Car is a 1998 Olds Silhouette 3.4L Icharged it last summer with 134a & started blowing cold but within 2 weeks it was blowing warm. No strange noises i.e. grinding, knocks, pings etc. Just no cold air. PLEASE HELP before summer hits and my kids melt.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 01:04 PM
My AC instuctor says that even when an electronic detector fails to find a slow leak, that soap and water will find if for him.
Look carefully around the shaft also while wiggling it.

Old 03-15-06, 03:06 PM
Do a dye test to find leak.

Old 03-16-06, 10:35 AM
Dye needs to be charged into the system and the system needs to be running for the dye test. With no dye present in the system I like to use soap water from a squirt bottle. Spray it on all suspect areas. When you see bubbles, you've found the problem.

Another clue for finding slow leaks is to look for oily connections. Usually some lube leaks out with the refrigerant.

Old 03-16-06, 08:52 PM
There are several different methods of A/C leak detection to choose from including UV lights and dyes, electronic leak detectors, ultrasonic leak detectors, nitrogen testing and even Heat Diode designs.

Old 03-16-06, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by moffittchcg7
Can anyone tell me the best way to go about finding a leak in my A/C. Car is a 1998 Olds Silhouette 3.4L Icharged it last summer with 134a & started blowing cold but within 2 weeks it was blowing warm. No strange noises i.e. grinding, knocks, pings etc. Just no cold air. PLEASE HELP before summer hits and my kids melt.

you can take it to one of those quick oil change places where they usually perform a complete vacuum before re-charging the system,with all freon gone you'll have a hard time finding where it leaks from. They're usually cheap ( $30 a pound or so ).