Questions you would ask a body shop when getting an estimate

Old 03-15-06, 05:27 PM
Questions you would ask a body shop when getting an estimate

Every so often I get calls from frineds and family becasue their car isn't acting right, or making a noise. So they call me for advice. I usually can give them specific questions to ask the mechanic before they bring their cars in.

This spring/summer I want to repaint one of my cars (93 Maxima) and I've narrowed my choices to three local auto body shops. What are some basic or specific questions I could ask the body shop?

Like, what kind of paint (PPG, Dupont) what kind of primer, paint process, clear coat, base coat, wet sand, paint booth, heat lamps, trims, moldings, rust repair, sealer, enamel, acrylic, etc.

I'm just throwing out all types of body related terminology to see if I can hit on specific questions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by CandiMan
Every so often I get calls from frineds and family becasue their car isn't acting right, or making a noise. So they call me for advice. I usually can give them specific questions to ask the mechanic before they bring their cars in.

This spring/summer I want to repaint one of my cars (93 Maxima) and I've narrowed my choices to three local auto body shops. What are some basic or specific questions I could ask the body shop?

Like, what kind of paint (PPG, Dupont) what kind of primer, paint process, clear coat, base coat, wet sand, paint booth, heat lamps, trims, moldings, rust repair, sealer, enamel, acrylic, etc.

I'm just throwing out all types of body related terminology to see if I can hit on specific questions.

All that info will be on the written estimate, don't be a show off and don't ask too many questions if job is straightfroward as it seems

Old 03-15-06, 10:35 PM
Ask all you can about the job,what brand of paint, what kind of primer,clear coat, base coat, wet sand, paint booth, heat lamps, trims, moldings, rust repair, sealer, enamel, acrylic, etc.
Also check out the work thay have done on other cars, How long job will take and ask about warranty. Remember you are paying for a service. (This is juist my opinion.)