Bad fuse?

Old 03-16-06, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad fuse?

The cigarette lighter has stopped working again in my 2003 Pontiac Aztec. It is used only to keep a charge on a cell phone. The dealer has “fixed” it twice but after 4 or 5 months it fails again. There is another “power outlet” between and to the rear of the front seats that also fails so the two must be on the same circuit. The owner’s manual does not list a fuse for the cigarette lighter. There is a fuse panel in the front center console and another under the hood. Can anyone tell me which fuse is for the lighter and where it is located?

Thanks

Old 03-16-06, 02:55 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually, not always, the name of the main component served is marked on the fuse block or on or inside of the fuse block cover. Check carefully. It does sound like a fuse. My wife's cell phone charger popped the fuse. It's not the charger itself, but the male end does not always fit perfectly in the socket and sometimes causes a short circuit.

Old 03-16-06, 04:59 PM
J
According to Rockauto.com, its a 20 amp fuse and says "Fuse in both passenger and engine compartments (Mini Fuse)"

Old 03-16-06, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar
Usually, not always, the name of the main component served is marked on the fuse block or on or inside of the fuse block cover. Check carefully. It does sound like a fuse. My wife's cell phone charger popped the fuse. It's not the charger itself, but the male end does not always fit perfectly in the socket and sometimes causes a short circuit.
No, the fuses are only numbered. The owners’ manual lists all the fuses by number and their function, but none are designated “cigarette lighter”.

I’ve pretty much eliminated the charger as the problem cause but even if it did cause a short, that should cause a fuse to blow, that’s why I need to know where it is.

Originally Posted by jeff67
According to Rockauto.com, its a 20 amp fuse and says "Fuse in both passenger and engine compartments (Mini Fuse)"
Hmm, maybe two fuses protect the lighter, one in each location.

Thanks

Old 03-16-06, 09:37 PM
J
Originally Posted by 1Geniere
No, the fuses are only numbered. The owners’ manual lists all the fuses by number and their function, but none are designated “cigarette lighter”.

I’ve pretty much eliminated the charger as the problem cause but even if it did cause a short, that should cause a fuse to blow, that’s why I need to know where it is.

Hmm, maybe two fuses protect the lighter, one in each location.

Thanks
Maybe Pontiac relocated the fuse during that year. Is there anything else that doesn't work when you have this problem such as the horn or dome light? If so, you can try locating it that way. Or just pull all the fuses one by one till you see one that is blown, starting with the 20 amp yellow fuses. Have you verified the charger works in another car or tested the socket with the cigarette lighter or something else?

Old 03-16-06, 11:10 PM
O
With multimeter check all fuses till bad one is found. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-17-06, 10:02 AM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your owners manual list a Courtesy (CTSY) fuse, an accessory fuse, or a power outlet fuse? I don't think the manufacturers use the dirty word cigarette anymore.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: