95 Neon Throttle or Tranny?

Old 03-16-06, 05:59 PM
Do It Over Don
Visiting Guest
95 Neon Throttle or Tranny?

Started the car up and it was chugging a little so I had to give it gas until it warmed up and the gas pedal felt normal. Got out to load something up and when I got back in to go, it felt like the pedal would only go 1/2 way down like something was stuck under it. Pushed the pedal harder and the shifter moved from D to Neutral. Shut the car off and pushed the pedal and it felt normal and would go all the way to the floor. Started it back up and the pedal felt stuck again. Decided to drive it down a side road and the first 1/2 of the pedal felt normal and got up to 35. Pushed the pedal down and the tranny down shifted and when I lifted my foot off of the gas at 55mph, the car kept accelerating and sounded like it was not in overdrive yet. I thought the throttle was stuck and I tried the normal stuff to un-stick it. Lifted it with my foot, jammed it to the floor but the car kept accelerating. It can't be the Cruise Control stuck because that hasn't worked in a year. I started braking and now the brakes felt very hard but I did slow down just not as quickly as it should have. As I slowed, I could feel the tranny down shift hard but the brake pedal still felt hard. Almost came to a stop and the engine started to rev very high like I had floored it. I shifted to N and the idle came down and the brakes felt normal again. I had to drive home so I got on the freeway and got up to speed (65) just by using the first 1/2 of the pedal. Took the first exit and the brakes acted normally. Decided to try my luck again and if I push past the sticking point of the pedal, the throttle/tranny sticks and keeps accelerating and the brakes feel hard when coming to a stop. Opened the hood and operated the throttle cable by hand and while it is in P it feels normal. Still had 65 miles to go home so I just used the first 1/2 of the pedal. The only thing I noticed prior to all of this is on cold mornings it took longer than normal for it to shift into 3rd. Sorry for such a long post, but this has got me stumped.

Don

Old 03-16-06, 09:59 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like Throttle is stikking or Cruise Control cable is bindding at Throttle.Use WD40 on cables. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-17-06, 06:08 PM
M
On top of the tranny, underneath the battery tray, is linkage for kickdown, that is almost impossible to see from above. I have to use a flashlight and get a spry can of wd-40 or similar ready to spray, and I soak the entire linkage area, (because I'm too lazy to remove all that stuff in the way) and that will usually loosen it up. Last time (winter driving in snow & salt) I had to spray it twice a day for 2-3 days before it finally loosened up. Mine has done it 3 -4 times now, and each time, it feels real stiff at gas pedal, and when I push it too hard, it's basically holding the kickdown linkage in the kickdown position, so it shifts down hard, until it back itself off. Try pushing the pedal a little harder after soaking it for a while, and it should eventually go back to normal, then keep lubing it on a regular basis, and it should be o.k. I have to stand in front of rad, crouch down look to right, to see top of tranny, and linkage. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll take a digital picture of mine, to guide you. Relax, I thought my tranny was going too.

Old 03-17-06, 06:40 PM
Do It Over Don
Visiting Guest
Mike B.

I know the area you are talking about. What I did today was i put the car in D and turned off the ignition. With it in D the pedal is hard. So I opened the hood and rotated the throttle with my hand and it would only move a little bit due to to the stuck linkage. The linkage on the throttle that is stuck is the bottom most cable. I disconnected it and with it in D I am able to rotate the throttle fully and the gas pedal will push all the way down like normal. I routed the cable up and out of the way and taped it down. The car shifts up and down normally but when I am up to speed and push the pedal all the way to the floor, the tranny does not kick down a gear but it does speed up. I thought about removing the battery and tray to get to the linkage but decided against it. Maybe tomorrow, which will turn into a week and so on and so forth. I am going to spray it like you suggested and try to get it to loosen up before I reconnect the cable. Thanks.

Old 03-17-06, 06:45 PM
M
Addition to previous message . Look for your shift cable at tranny. In the center, and basically looks like it's mounted on top of the shifter linkage, attached to a "D" shaped shaft approx. 1/4"-3/8" is another linkage. That is your Throttle pressure control cable, and that's the problem area. That piece of linkage should rotate back & forth without too much force (freely). I scanned a picture from my Neon service manual of it, but the attachment is 6.6 MB. If your internet provider will allow that to get to you, I'll send it to an e-mail address if it will help you. Remeber though, spray those 2 linkages good where they attach, and around them, and the should loosen up for you. "Good Luck" and let me know how you make out, will you? "WARNING"!!!!!! Do not remove that top linkage if you can avoid it, there is something that falls off sometimes, and that "D" shaped shaft will drop down, and it cost me $100 to get a tranny place to pull tranny apart to fix it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: