97 Ford Explorer Oil Filter Problem

Old 03-18-06, 01:48 PM
xms

While trying to change the oil filter on a 97 explorer, the new one threaded on 5-6 turns but leaked oil when I started it up. I took the filter off and put on another new one but it would only turn 2-3 times and left a gap between the filter and the block. I took that off and tried to reinstalled the original (dirty) filter but that one only goes on 2-3 turns, with a gap also. Even the one that went on 5-6 turns only goies 2-3 turns now. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-06, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Look real close to make sure you don't have a double gasket. Sometimes when you remove an old filter the o-ring will stick to the block and not come away with the filter.

Old 03-18-06, 04:28 PM
xms

I couldn't find anything like a double gasket or anything on the post, so I tried the first replacement filter again and figured heck, what have I got to lose, the filter better fail before the post does. Once I hit the sticking point, I gripped the filter hard with my hand and tried for more, and it worked! I backed it off and tried it again and it spun right on. Go figure. It sealed up snugly and I ran the engine to check for leaks and nothing dripped. Life is good again.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Old 03-18-06, 04:31 PM
Check to see if you have cross threaded the first filter. Plus make sure threads are the same as old filter SAE or metric. Check theads on engine for danage.