I Think I Killed My Car

Old 03-19-06, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Think I Killed My Car

Ok here it is, my 91 Pontaic Grand AM LE 2.5l was running rough, misfiring. so i replaced both the coils packs with Accel Super DIS Coil, the Ignition Module/Control Unit, Crank Position Sensor and the spark plugs. now when i go to crank it over it backfires up though the intake and out the top. sometimes alot of smoke will come out and sometimes a brust of flames. i had it runnning once for about 10 mins then it died.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

Old 03-19-06, 05:35 PM
O
Sounds like you have plug wires mixed up or Crank Position Sensor not in right timeing off.Or timeming belt or chain out a tooth or two. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-19-06, 05:47 PM
i checked the wires and there the same as they came off. is there a wrong way of putting the cank sensor in? timeing chain is good

Old 03-19-06, 07:44 PM
B
I did something similar to my S-10. I was replacing the spark plugs and distributer cap and got the wires mixed up. When I tried to start it, it did the exact same thing you are talking about. If you have a Chilton or Haynes book it should tell you which configuration the plugs go on. Although if you are sure they are on right then I am not quite sure what is wrong.

Old 03-19-06, 08:02 PM
B
double check the wires it should have a diagram on the underhood sticker that tells you which cylinders go to wich coil terminal.
you cant really install the crank sensor wrong on this model but I suppose you could crack it or damage it during install.

Old 03-19-06, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by bejay
double check the wires it should have a diagram on the underhood sticker that tells you which cylinders go to wich coil terminal.
you cant really install the crank sensor wrong on this model but I suppose you could crack it or damage it during install.
i rehooked them up the way the hood sticker says, but still does the same thing, the buttom one should be 1 then 4,2,3, could i of done something with the intake manifold that could cause this becaue i took the intake off to do it.

Last edited by chevyastro4x4; 03-19-06 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 10:44 PM
B
dont see how the intake could have anything to do with it. how was it running for that ten minutes that you did have it running was it missing still or running ok.
start by checking for spark at each plug wire at the plug, if you have spark on every cylinder, do a compression test to see if any cylinders are low.

Old 03-20-06, 01:42 AM
it was running great. i had one of my friends do a compression test and he said it was good

Old 03-20-06, 11:45 AM
F
1--was running rough, misfiring

2--now when I go to crank it over it backfires up though the intake and out the top. Sometimes allot of smoke will come out and sometimes a burst of flames. I had it running once for about 10 mins. Then it died.

3--it was running great

So I take it that the car was rough so you put the parts on Quote #1
Then it ran great Quote #3
Now it runs worse then ever Quote #2

If this series of events is true please let us know
I would suspect that the intake gasket broke or loosened or something. Check it with a propane torch or however you look for vacuum leaks.
If cant find a problem there then I would wiggle and disconnect and reconnect all the connectors incase it is a bad connection someplace.
Then with my old parts I would try substitution of the new parts with my old parts one at a time. Just because they are new does not mean that they canít be defective.

I had a problem one day with a Chevette. Put new parts on and it ran terrible. Put old parts back and ran not too bad. Went back to new parts and tested for current leakage of the ignition wires by grounding a screwdriver to the frame and while holding on the insulated part, went around the high voltage wires. It was the new coil wire that was leaking so much current it would barely run.

Good luck and get back to us.

Old 03-20-06, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by frankiee
1--was running rough, misfiring

2--now when I go to crank it over it backfires up though the intake and out the top. Sometimes allot of smoke will come out and sometimes a burst of flames. I had it running once for about 10 mins. Then it died.

3--it was running great

So I take it that the car was rough so you put the parts on Quote #1
Then it ran great Quote #3
Now it runs worse then ever Quote #2

If this series of events is true please let us know
I would suspect that the intake gasket broke or loosened or something. Check it with a propane torch or however you look for vacuum leaks.
If cant find a problem there then I would wiggle and disconnect and reconnect all the connectors incase it is a bad connection someplace.
Then with my old parts I would try substitution of the new parts with my old parts one at a time. Just because they are new does not mean that they canít be defective.

I had a problem one day with a Chevette. Put new parts on and it ran terrible. Put old parts back and ran not too bad. Went back to new parts and tested for current leakage of the ignition wires by grounding a screwdriver to the frame and while holding on the insulated part, went around the high voltage wires. It was the new coil wire that was leaking so much current it would barely run.

Good luck and get back to us.

it ran great the ten mins it did run. but now everytime i crank it, it pops out the air intake and a brust or smoke and flames. yesturday i had the control mod tested and tested good im going to try and replace the crank sensor. coils are strong. i think it is firing at the wrong point so thats why it backfires out the intake.

Old 03-20-06, 02:28 PM
O
Fireing order for4 cyl. GM engines is 1 3 4 2 Coil pack order 2.2 liter is top 2 3 1 4 -2.5 liter top 1 4 3 2

Last edited by our442; 03-20-06 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 08:31 PM
Here a link to a video of what it does.
http://video.************/player.php?v=s2bf3q

Old 03-22-06, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
Here a link to a video of what it does.
http://video.************/player.php?v=s2bf3q

It does sound like timing is way off.

Old 03-22-06, 09:32 PM
how could the timing change that much by putting new crank sensor and coils in

Old 03-22-06, 10:24 PM
If it ran decent (rough, but decent), and then you installed something, and then it didn't run or ran only for a short time or whatever, then something got screwed up during the work.
Back up, recheck everything. Is the parts kit the correct one for this particular engine. Are all of the electrical connections correct, not just the plug wires but the sensors and so forth.
The worst thing you can do is wander off looking for answers in the wrong places and compound your problem and frustration (and cost). "our442" is on the right track, stay with the basics.

Good luck!

Old 03-22-06, 11:52 PM
O
There may be some thing not right with replacement parts you have instald in your car as thay are not GM name brand parts. Try putting old ones back and see if it runs better then new ones. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-23-06, 06:18 AM
Red face

my friends dad looked at it and he said the timing is off, it worked ok with the old stuff because they were old and not as strong and the new stuff dont work because there not snyc with the timing. i took the timing cover off and the chain is really lose so im going to retime it and put a new chain on and hope it works.

Thanks for everyones help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: