Another Tranny problem

Old 03-19-06, 07:19 PM
Do It Over Don
Visiting Guest
Another Tranny problem

On my 97 Blazer the tranny was shifting hard from 1st to 2nd gear. I added a quart of Lucas friction reducer a couple weeks ago and it didn't seem to help at all. Today, I was pulling a 14' aluminum boat going up a long but not too steep of an incline and I noticed my back window getting covered in something. Pulled over and the whole back of my truck and underside is coated with tranny fluid but when I checked all of the fluid levels, they were all normal. Is there an overflow valve on the tranny for when it gets hot? The fluid I added previously didn't say to drain out any tranny fluid. I am wondering if the extra fluid, extra load and the incline caused it to heat up to much and blow out any excess? I like saving $ by making a vehicle last as long as I can, but I think I am being nickeled and dimed to death.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Before you dive in, I would have the codes read to see if a tranny code comes up. An extra quart is a bit of an overfill, but I'm guessing not enough for it to blow past seals, etc. I think you've got the early signs of an impending failure, but you could have a sensor or solenoid problem, so get the codes read.

Old 03-20-06, 11:49 AM
I suspect you have two seperate problems going on with your truck.
1. The harsh shifting is going to be a code 1811 or 1870 (one is for the truck the other for the cars)
this is telling you that a transmission component is slipping. The computer will take over and shut the T.C.C. (torque converter clutch) off and boost the pressure in the transmission this is why it is shifting hard from first to second.

2. The fluid all over the rear of the vehicle is usually from towing your boat in overdrive and this overheated the fluid and caused it to expand and blow it out the vent on the transmission. The size of the boat is not the issue. It is the fact that the torque converter turns at the same speed as the engine. The converter turns the pump in the transmission and in overdrive it now turns too slow to circulate the fluid fast enough to keep it cool and therefore it overheats. Fluid expands when it gets hot therefore it may not apear to be low on fluid. This is why your supposed to check it hot.

If the vehicle has not been driven too long we can normally put a shift kit along with an E.P.C. solenoid in to correct the harsh shifting other wise the torque converter needs to be replaced if it has been driven too long. I would start with a Transgo shift kit. I hope that giving a name brand kit did not violate any rules.

Old 03-21-06, 09:16 AM
Do It Over Don
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jaws
If the vehicle has not been driven too long we can normally put a shift kit along with an E.P.C. solenoid in to correct the harsh shifting other wise the torque converter needs to be replaced if it has been driven too long. I would start with a Transgo shift kit. I hope that giving a name brand kit did not violate any rules.

Since we only drive it about 6k miles a year and using it to tow up to about 20 miles and not at freeway speeds, that is probably why the problem hasn't presented itself sooner. I first noticed the hard shifting a few years ago so I am probably looking at a torque converter then. About how much would you estimate that to run and should I have a tranny cooler installed as well?

Old 03-21-06, 09:48 AM
Sounds like overflow valve on rear end is where fuid mite be from . Check rear end fuid. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-22-06, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Do It Over Don
Since we only drive it about 6k miles a year and using it to tow up to about 20 miles and not at freeway speeds, that is probably why the problem hasn't presented itself sooner. I first noticed the hard shifting a few years ago so I am probably looking at a torque converter then. About how much would you estimate that to run and should I have a tranny cooler installed as well?

How many miles are on the vehicle? Torque converters can vary in price. My Snap-on dealer has an expression he says "You can buy cheap tools, but then you have to use them." I use the same logic when it comes to torque converters. The brand I offer runs about $250.00 the R&R labor is 8.8 hours add the cost of fluid, filter and a shift kit . If you were in my shop I would tell you about $1250-1350. This price would include the shift kit I mentioned as well, (I normally install the shift kit for about $450.00). I would also recommend while I have it out to look inside since you have already spent the money to take it out of the vehicle.

I would suggest starting with a shift kit and see if this takes care of the problem.
If not you can always do the the converter later. That is what I tell my customers.

A complete overhaul would be around $2000.00-2200.00 (in my area). If you have high miles you may just want to consider doing a complete overhaul for the extra money and being done with the problem.

A transmisison cooler is a good idea for towing also, just make sure you don't already have an auxiliary cooler from the factory. I would also recommend no towing in overdrive.

Hope this information offers some answers,
Jeff