96 Voyager trans

Old 03-20-06, 12:29 PM
96 Voyager trans

Have a 96 Voyager, 3 liter with 3 speed automatic. Are there any adjustments to be made for occasional slipping - fluid levels are fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 02:38 PM
Hi Jim,

The three speed transmission you have is controlled by a throttle cable or linkage. It is hooked up at the throttle body on the drivers side of the vehicle and runs down to the top of the transmission throttle linkage underneath the battery. I have seen the linkage get stiff due to corosion from the battery. Make sure the linkage is hooked up and has free movement it should be spring loaded and if you push it, it should retract if not check to see if some lube will help free it up. It is also possible to adjust this linkage/cable. When does it slip 1-2 2-3?

Jeff

Old 03-20-06, 07:56 PM
It slipped on me going up our driveway, pretty steep and I was probably only going 5-10 mph. I'd say it does 'lag' sometimes from 1-2. TIA

Old 03-20-06, 08:45 PM
When was last time transmission filter changed.

Old 03-21-06, 04:40 AM
Fluid and filter were changed about a year ago, maybe 15 months and 15000 miles. I've been told you don't change fluid if you're having any problems.

Old 03-21-06, 06:39 AM
Hi Jim,

You were given good advice about the fluid and filter change. I liken this to locking the barn doors after the horse has escaped. Changing the fluid and filter is great maintainence but rarely fixes actual problems with a few exceptions. If you change the fluid and filter and THEN find out you have internal problems the first thing we do is drain all that new fluid out and dispose of it.

You say your driveway is very steep I have a couple of thoughts on this.

1. The fluid is all collecting on one side of the pan and therefore it looses its prime.

2. Because the drive is steep it could possibly be slipping as we need additional holding power of the clutches, we are demanding alot under these circumstances.

I would suggest the next time you put the shifter into what is called manual low position (shifter all the way down) and see what happens this will give you additional holding power.

If you have owned this vehicle for a while and have never had this problem before I would only guess the plates are slipping and internal work could be needed.

Jeff

Old 03-22-06, 05:52 AM
Jeff

Have had it 7 years and this is new problem. My mechanic says its internal and the only thing to do is put in a remanufactured unit. Hard to do when you look at Edmunds and it says even if it was in excellent shape it'd only be worth 2000 as a trade.

Thanks

Old 03-22-06, 06:40 AM
Hi Jim,

Yes I understand the dilema, it happens here all the time. Repairs exceed the value, really kind of hard to justify. Most of my customers love the vehicle but hate the idea of sinking all that money into it. Used ones are hard to come by also. I wish I had better news for you. I think we are living in a disposable world.

Jeff