99 Taurus Sounds Like a Plane

Old 03-21-06, 05:41 AM
99 Taurus Sounds Like a Plane

Yes, the sound that my Taurus is making is very similar to a propeller plane, and it gets loud especially on the highway. I’m keeping the Tylenol in the glove compartment! This is a 6 cylinder 182 S 3.0L EFI DOHC wagon. Are there any suggestions as to what this might be? The car continues to run fine other than the noise. Unfortunately, this car is turning into quite the money pit!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 05:50 AM
Hi defferante,

I would ask you to try and drive the car down a straight away and then turn the wheel left to right quickly to see if the noise changes. If you notice a change in the pitch I would turn my attention to a front wheel bearing hub assembly. By turning the wheel you are changing the load on the bearing.

Jeff

Old 03-21-06, 06:28 AM
I just gotta get in on this one because of the catchy title ( Are you a writer?)
I am sitting here trying to visualize the vehicle going down the road sounding like a Beaver bush plane. I think so far that it is anybody's guess so I am going to recommend removing the engine belt.
Make sure you can put it on the same way that it came off. Run the engine to see if the noise went away. Visually inspect the radiator fan hub and blades for cracks or missing pieces. Also with the battery disconnected, feel the blades and make sure that none are cracked and you just can't see the crack because the load is not on it.
Well, That's the pitch......I mean angle that I am going to take with all this noise.
I will be watching this thread from the observation tower and please let us know if it takes off anywhere.

Old 03-21-06, 07:03 AM
I wish the car would take off and land in the junk yard!

The wheel bearings were replaced about a year ago by a Ford dealership. Should they wear out that quickly? It was covered by my extended warranty, which has since expired. Back in December, while in for an oil change, a different dealership said the right front tie end was loose and needed to be replaced. I had that done by an independent shop. Iím not a mechanic, but shouldnít a problem like the bearings be evident if a dealership is looking for problems and the tie end was found to be loose?

When turning around right curves, Iíve noticed a reduction in the noise, a slight increase when turning to the left. Still ďsoundĒ like a bearing problem? Moving straight the noise is always there. Are the bearings a problem that get worse over time or do they go bad and need to be replaced?

Iíve also suspected the belt and have revved the engine in park and while holding down the brake in drive, and it seems like the noise may be originating from there. The entire belt path seems pretty noisy.

Again, it just seems like this car is becoming such a money pit. Maybe I am better off piloting a Beaver bush plane. No rush hour traffic and Iíve already got a huge supply of Tylenol!

Old 03-21-06, 08:54 AM
Do you have air. The air pump cluch makes a sound like that when it is ready to die. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-22-06, 06:12 AM
This is weird. On my home yesterday I intentionally began to swerve from side to side to listen to any differences in the noise. When I swerved to the left, the noise increased, and when I swerved to the right it slightly decreased. There was noise going straight.

Iím starting to believe that there is nothing wrong with the car, and this is just a natural noise the car makes. It has always had low growl mainly to being a DOHC. I recall after a year, my wife said it makes too much noise, but it was that low end growl that is evident even in idle.

Have I been hypnotized by the ghost of Henry Ford, or is there something genuinely wrong here?

Old 03-22-06, 10:08 AM
Check power steering pump for noise. I have 97 sable TOHC and it makes no noise. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-22-06, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by dferrante
This is weird. On my home yesterday I intentionally began to swerve from side to side to listen to any differences in the noise. When I swerved to the left, the noise increased, and when I swerved to the right it slightly decreased. There was noise going straight.
Hi dferrante,

As I mentioned in the first post if the noise changes when going left to right I would check the front wheel bearings. It is front wheel drive so if you can get it on a hoist (I do this for no charge for my customers) and listen to it with a stethoscope this will help you identify which (if any) bearing is bad. A bad wheel bearing/hub assembly will make a terrific amount of noise like an airplane.

Good luck,
Jeff

Old 03-23-06, 06:41 AM
My thoughts, your problem

Wheel bearings would be where I put my money at. A little low end noise is ok, but should that increase you could have a greater problem. I would also recommend inspecting your tires, and alignment. Believe it or not one bad tire in the bunch could cause the noise you are describing, say, if it had a broken steel belt in it! Anyway, those are the two horses I would put my money down on. Niether is to greatly expensive either.

Old 03-23-06, 08:16 AM
I will calling my Ford Dealership and make an appointment to have them diagnose the problem. Iím betting at this point that it is the wheel bearing.

First, the left wheel bearing was replaced a year ago. The car has accumulated just under 10,000 miles since last March. I assume a repair of this type should last longer than 10,000 miles. Is it safe to assume either a poorly installed bearing, or a defective part?

If it turns out to not be the bearing, Iíll have the tires inspected. An alignment was done in December when I had a loose tie end replaced. I can rule that out.

Iíll let you know what the dealership tells me. Iím inclined to ask to speak to the service manager because I would expect a repair of this type to last longer than it did. I donít expect full coverage because the car is out of warranty and the repair a year old, but Iím going for paying half the cost of the repair if it turns out to be the left wheel bearing.

Just so I know, when turn to the left the left bearing to taking the weight and makes the most noise Ė which is what happens in this case. Is this correct?

Old 03-23-06, 09:31 AM
The wheel bearings today are a bit tricky to diagnose that is why I suggest a stethescope. They use two sets of ball bearings (one inner and one outer) and you are unloading one on one side and the other on the other side. It could be either bearing.

I don't know about where you had the work done but I can usually get some warranty help on a wheel bearing that is close or just outside the warranty period. I would at least ask, remember: The squeeky wheel gets the grease what better time to find out. I would also be offering to help you out if the bearing manufacture did not by doing the labor for free just to keep a customer, they are hard to come by and I like to hang onto the ones I have.

Good luck with Ford,
Jeff

Old 03-23-06, 12:34 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
check the cv joints

Old 03-23-06, 12:44 PM
I haven't called the dealership yet, so i will have them look at both the wheel bearings and CV joints.

I am aiming for early next week. I'll let everyone know what it actually is.

Here's to an anticipated tylenol free commute.

Old 03-23-06, 01:24 PM
Cheers to tylenol free comute!

Jeff

Old 03-26-06, 09:24 AM
Sometimes you just need to hear a noise to properly diagnose it, it can be hard to do it in a forum. Let me just mention some unusual things that I have seen in my almost 40 years of automotive experience. Please keep in mind these a "long shots" but have fixed cars in the past.
1. Tire tread pattern or irregular wear. I remember a manufacturer of tires released a series of tires to General Motors Corporation that would set up a noise that you would swear was a wheel bearing. I was riding in the LR seat of my bosses company car one day and insisted he had a bad bearing. Upon further investigation a tire company representative admitted it was the tread pattern. These were a new design tire at the time and the tread pattern was promptly changed. Another noise issue can come from irregular wear on the individual tread blocks on the tire tread. Sometimes rotating the tires will change the noise enough to confirm that the noise is tire related. If it is tread block noise, confirm proper wheel alignment and rotate tires on a regular basis.
2. Airplane noise!?! What comes to mind is the noise an airplane propeller makes at flat pitch and the blades approach super sonic speeds. It is a rapid rap, rap, rap, or flapping noise. You kind of have to hear it to know what I am speaking of. Something that can remind you of this noise at highway speeds on a car is a molding, air deflector or shield that air is getting under and causing it to vibrate in the breeze. How many cars have you seen with the air deflector under the front bumper of a car flapping in the breeze as the car goes down the road? A close encounter with a parking block, snow bank or curb can damage the air deflectors. Could it be a wheel bearing? Sure can, replacement parts can sometimes fail quickly. Keep us posted on what fixes this noise.

Old 03-26-06, 11:27 AM
whats hanging ???

I totaly agree with what steve had to say on loose molding or air dam...I myself was thinking along the lines of something caught up under the car as perhaps a piece of tarp and or plastic...maybe even a stick....good luck and let us know how things work out

Doug

Old 03-26-06, 11:16 PM
Deep lug snow tires can make air plane sounds when driving fast. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-28-06, 07:23 AM
The car went in this morning, and the diagnosis has been made. The noise is coming from the right front wheel bearing. Total cost with the repair kit and labor: $295.

I told my wife this morning and expressed my frustration that this car seems to have its share of problems. My Taurus has spotty reliability. I bought a ’99 because my ’92 Taurus was trouble free. I didn’t even buy an extended warranty, but I did not need it.

However, not being thrilled with this car’s reliability, I do like it because of the size and comfort of the vehicle. It’s not a gas hog, and the extended warranty did care of some other expensive repairs. I love the wagon because the bed holds quite a bit of stuff. I just wish that Ford would use more reliable components. The car itself is a nice size and swayed my decision back in 1992 because the then Camry and Accord wagons were smaller.

I’ll be back on the road later today, and I’ll be listening to the car. I’ll keep the Tylenol on standby and I want to thank everyone for their advice and help. I’ll see you on the road!

Old 03-28-06, 07:35 AM
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Jeff