gmc safari still not good

Old 03-21-06, 12:47 PM
Angry gmc safari still not good

OK I posted on 2-22 saying my GMC Safari would not start and got several suggestions that it was probably the alternator. My husband got a voltage reading of twelve volts off of the battery and didn't think it was the alternator, but when we took it to the garage, they put a load on it and said it was indeed the alternator. They replaced it (to the tune of $211, even though the part was actually only $122 or so if you sent back the old alternator which you know they did!) They also replaced the battery (which was fine) with a $90 one. And as long as they were in ther, replaced the serpentine belt. All of this cost alot of money! Yesterday while driving, I noticed that the battery gauge was WAY over to the right, way past center. Later in the day when I went to start it again, it would NOT start! It turned over, but would not fire. ANY IDEAS?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 02:59 PM
if the engine cranks over good there is a number of reasons why an engine will not start but obviously it isn't getting either fuel or spark or both. you will probably have to see a shop for testing where they will do some tests to determine why it isnt starting it is probably not related to the previous repair, voltage on a running engine can get up around 14.7 volts not sure where your guage was reading or even if the guage on the dash is a very accurate reading of voltage.

Old 03-21-06, 04:54 PM
shop couldn't diagnose

We did take it in today. They couldn't find any problem. It was definately getting over 14.7 volts when it pegged way to the right (not in the red)

Old 03-21-06, 05:03 PM
Astro and Safari vans are well known for fuel pumps related problems.My brother's Safari is on to its 3rd fuel pump.Check this site www.astrosafari.com

Old 03-22-06, 10:06 AM
check fuel system

They did a pressure check on the fuel system and said they found nothing wrong.

Old 03-22-06, 11:17 AM
its not uncommon for a shop to not be able to find a problem if the vehicle is not acting up at the time they are looking at it, I assume the van starts now if it still doesnt start then you should have it towed to another shop.
intermitant problems can be hard to find often fuel pumps and other electrical parts can leave people stranded and start right up when towed to the shop and have good fuel pressure, no codes and will test drive and run fine often the rest of the day, but is very likely to leave the owner stranded in the future due to the same problem you can either continue to drive it, or leave it at the shop to give them more time to try to get the vehicle to act up by test driving and starting and shutting off the vehicle repeadetly throughout the day. most people need their vehicle and take there chances and continue to drive it.

Old 03-22-06, 04:18 PM
Check fuel pump relay.Can you here fuel pump when you turn key on. It sould run for 2-3 seconds. (This is just my opinion.)

Search this Thread