I could pull my hair out

Old 03-21-06, 02:21 PM
Angry I could pull my hair out

2 questions-

Has anyone had to change the hood release cable on a '91 Chevy Lumina Sedan? If so, some pointers on how to make this as easy as possible, would be greatly appreciated. From what I can see there is little to no room to get in there.

Next question, I am currently having problems with driver's rear door first it wouldn't lock, so I took it apart and fixed the locking mechanism. Tried the door out and now it will not open. I am going to get a new arm, and locking mechanism that part I can handle, the part I am not sure about is how the heck do I get the door open now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-06, 03:03 PM
I have nearly the same door problem on a '91 GMC Safari. The rear door handle is broke and no way to get it open that I can see. Maybe someone has an idea for the both of us.

Old 03-22-06, 06:44 AM
damn

short of unbolting the door from the middle post, and pulling it off and dealing with the damage later. I am just stumped, I really hope someone has an alternative for us.

Old 03-22-06, 10:58 AM
Hi Lamerem,

When I need to replace something like a hood cable I usually tie a piece of mechanics wire (thin and flexible) to the old cable then disconnect it and pull it out through the drivers inside compartment leaving plenty of wire attached to the cable (I have a large spool of the wire and just leave it attached when I am done I rewind it to the spool ready for the next job). Then when the old cable is out remove the wire and tie it to the new cable and pull the wire back through with someone feeding it back in position.

On the door sometimes persistence will pay off and it will eventually open "one more time" if you can't get it open then you will have to remove the door panel inside the vehicle.
Jeff

Old 03-22-06, 12:56 PM
now what!

Jeff-
I have the door panel already removed, from my previous repair door not locking. Cause, the little plastic piece that holds the locking rod onto the striker was broken. The door has done this before where it would not open, I think that is how the lock was broken. I was sure that is what it was and began locking and unlocking until the point of the plastic retainer breaking. So anyway, door panel is off, how do I open the door. I have tried manually operating the mechanism, but no such luck. I there another way of removing the door or the pin that it latches too. What next...

Like the name of the post, I could pull my hair out. My wife has been on me to get a new car, hers is only 3 years old, mine 15 yrs. But, I am the type of person to drive them till their dead. None of this pay it off and trade it in crap like her. I hate car payments, but then again, car payment=take it to the service dept. @ local dealer.

Old 03-22-06, 04:13 PM
There sould be 2 rods in door 1 for lock 1 for door release. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-23-06, 06:32 AM
Yes. There is a door lock and a release lever. When I pull the release lever the door still will not open. This leads me to believe that it is the striker mechanism.

Old 03-23-06, 09:19 AM
Hi Matt,

I can not agree more on the car payment thing. I am not sure what options you have left other than:

1. Talk to a bodyshop, I am sure they have had this happen before (I suspect drastic surgery).
2. Can you live with a three door if it means no payments?

Sorry I am out of ideas,
Jeff