Vehicle will not go into PARK...

Old 03-22-06, 06:40 AM
Unhappy Vehicle will not go into PARK...

My 93 Chev Blazer will not go into PARK.

For the past year or so, the gear indicator would not line up properly. For example, the indicator would be closer to Neutral than Drive in order to actually be in Drive. To get into Reverse, I've had to put the indicator, closer to Park. To get into Park I had to force the lever/indicator past Park.

A bit of a nuisance, but I could live with it. Then last week, I put it into Park (or so I thought), got out, and the Blazer started to roll away. I got back in and jammed the shift hard left, and it stopped. Now it takes several tries to get it into Park, and this could be dangerous.

Any idea what the problem is and what I might be looking at for repairs? It's an older vehicle, but I need it to get to work.

Thanks,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 10:02 AM
something is broken in the linkage system,use parking brake in the meantime,any transmission shop will give you an estimate on this, not safe to get under car with no parking brake !

Last edited by mattison; 03-23-06 at 04:34 AM. Reason: No need to quote entire post above.
Old 03-22-06, 10:40 AM
Hi Tom,

The shift indicator (little red needle) is a seperate adjustment, it works independantly of the actual shifter cable. In other words this can actually read reverse, drive, neutral and the transmission could still be in park.

On to the real problem, the shifter at the transmission sounds like it is out of adjustment this is pretty easy to adjust. On a 1993 it should have an adjustment on the cable itself underneath the vehicle. I usually disconnect the cable at the transmission (block the wheels first) and then I manual shift the transmission into park at the lever on the side. Then put the shifter inside the truck in park (reguardless of what the indicator shows) you will know when it is in park as you will be able to turn the key and take it out of the ignition. Now loosen up the adjustment (possibly a snap-lock adjustment) pull the adjustment lock mechanism back and then put the cable back on the lever at the transmission and push the lock mechanism back in. Then you can adjust the shift indicator once you have this truck holding park again.

Let me know if you need more information,
Jeff

Old 03-23-06, 12:04 AM
I say out of adjustment as well. Jaws hit nail on the head. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-23-06, 08:32 AM
Thanks!

Thanks, Jaws-

I'll give this a try this evening and let you know how I make out.

Tom

Old 03-23-06, 09:10 AM
Your welcome and good luck! let me know if you need more info. I am usually on this site during the daytime through out the week.

Jeff

Old 03-24-06, 06:55 AM
Did It!

Jaws- followed your instructions - worked like a charm.

Many thanks. I was leery of going to a transmission shop, as I'm sure they would have found something major.

Tom

Old 03-27-06, 05:45 AM
Hi Tom,

I am glad to hear this worked out for you. I love it when a plan comes together.

For the record I own and operate a transmission repair facility. We do adjustments like this as well as roadtest and scan vehicles for FREE. I guess it is what would make me happy so I suspect the rest of the world would be happy also.

Jeff

Old 09-02-12, 08:46 AM
i have the same problem with my 95 blazer. would those same instructions work on my car?

Old 09-03-12, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Should be the same although there could be minor differences.