Radiator plug-up

Old 03-22-06, 02:13 PM
Radiator plug-up

I recently needed to have my radiator replaced because it was full of mineral deposits and other particles and dirt from the water. Why ist it that distilled water is not used in radiators, which doesn't have any minerals and other particles? At about $2 a gallon, it would not be that expensive.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 04:12 PM
Most premixed coolant usually incorporates those ingredients.For a cheaper alternative, buy a gallon of distilled water and mix your own.

Old 03-23-06, 05:23 AM
I only use distilled water for engine coolant

Old 03-23-06, 07:16 AM
Hukre, I'm assuming you're asking this question of the previous owners. A lot of backyard mechanics seem surprised when they're told that distilled water should be used in the cooling system. I can only imagine the manufacturer uses distilled or demineralized water for factory fill. I'm not so sure of the dealers.

Old 03-23-06, 12:36 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by hukre
I recently needed to have my radiator replaced because it was full of mineral deposits and other particles and dirt from the water. Why ist it that distilled water is not used in radiators, which doesn't have any minerals and other particles? At about $2 a gallon, it would not be that expensive.
57 cents a gallon at wal-mart in GA

Old 03-23-06, 01:29 PM
FWIW, you could have had the radiator boiled out for probably half (or less) of the cost of a new radiator.

And distilled water IS suppose to be used in radiators, most people just don't understand the need for it.

Old 03-23-06, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
I use distilled, 58 cents a gallon at my walmart in WI.

Old 03-23-06, 08:53 PM

How old is this car ? using distilled vs. tap water would only make a tiny imperceptible difference when properly mixed 50/50 ( or as needed ) with coolant/antifreeze under normal conditions, all rads go bad after so many years of service, make sure you have no leaks and keep cap on recovery tank.

Old 03-24-06, 05:54 AM
I'm guessing here, but I can't imagine that there's enough minerals in a single charge of coolant (or even multiple charges after a number of years of coolant changes) mixed with tap water to scale a radiator. There probably was a leak in the system and it was continuously topped off with tap water to produce the scale present in the system.

Old 03-24-06, 12:36 PM
while a plugged or restricted radiater doesnt occur all that often, im sure that it is atleast partially contributed to the water used in the cooling system tap water can vary alot from being hard or soft and im sure in some areas using distilled water would probably be a good idea. but most radiators are replaced for leaks, and due to construction may not be repairable. so I would think that you are not gaining a whole lot by using distilled water and for most people it isnt going to increase the life of the radiator.

Old 03-24-06, 12:57 PM
Bejay, I think minerals in the water do more than just place deposits inside the radiator. They also wreak havoc with the coolant chemistry, which can reduce the corrosion inhibition of the antifreeze.

Old 03-27-06, 07:05 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my question. As I looked into it some more, I realized that all the shop manuals and owner manuals I have say to use water, no reference to distilled water; and all the gas stations I know of which have air and water service certainly don't use distilled water. And our local Ford dealer uses plain water. However, I will be using distilled water from now on, after the radiator shop showed me the insides of some radiators which were almost completely plugged up by mineral deposits.

Old 03-27-06, 07:39 PM
What vehicle is this? Is this a GM vehicle with DEX-COOL because if you have a blazer/jimmy the radiator clogging is supposed to happen with dex-cool. I have seen it also on some other passenger cars. But always with blazers and jimmys. Some people are actually trying to put together a class action suit against GM for dex-cool clogging radiators.