Question on PCV valve.

Old 03-24-06, 06:04 PM
Question on PCV valve.

I was replacing the PVC valve on my 1994 Chevy truck. The motor was running and I noticed there was no suction on the PVC hose. I disconnected the PVC hose at the carb, put my finger over the piece on the carb where the PVC hose slips over, and still no suction at the carb. Does this PVC hose have suction, or is it just a vent hose. Why is it connected to the carb?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-06, 06:29 PM
No need to quote the entire post above.

It should have suction that's what the pcv valve is for to prevent backflow of gas to the engine, if truck is running fine and passed smog you should be ok, check hose for oil or sludge buildup.

Last edited by mattison; 03-26-06 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 07:19 PM
Pvc hose should suction all the time. Check base of carb for carbin build up that has closed the openning. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-25-06, 04:52 AM
I pulled off the hose from the pcv valve to the base of the carb. There is a piece of tubing that comes out of the carb about an inch or so, this is what the hose slips on to. Tried putting a small screwdriver in this hole, goes in alittle bit, maybe an inch or so, then hits something hard. I didn't know if this is a plug or if it was the inside of the carb, I didn't want to tap on it until I was sure. Should this small screwdriver slid right through this tubing and come out inside the carb, or is it suppost to stop so far in? I still have no suction at the carb base.

Old 03-25-06, 08:29 PM
chances are it has a plug installed or carb is sealed in this fitting,don't force anything ,use a small flashlight if you can.

Last edited by mattison; 03-26-06 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-25-06, 11:55 PM
Old 03-26-06, 08:47 AM
Is there anything I can spray in that tube where the pcv hose connects to the carb base? Maybe if I spray something in there, it would eat away at the build-up in the carb base and break loose. I still get no suction at the carb.

Old 03-26-06, 11:03 AM
Best to take carb off and check base. Allso check gaskit under base to see if is the right one as some times if gaskit has been changed the new gaskit may cover hole.If that fails look for a place on intake to hook it to. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-26-06, 12:15 PM
I sprayed carb cleaner in the hole and kept running a wire through it. Ta Da, it has suction again! Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-26-06, 11:12 PM
Glad to here it. Engine will thank you to. (This is just my opinion.)