Grease fitting missing...

Old 03-25-06, 12:42 PM
Grease fitting missing...

I was greasing my 98 E350 and when I got to the last fitting (ball joint I think) I discovered there was not a fitting there. Every other joint on the front end has one. I am wondering if there was one there and it got broken off. I don't see a plug or anything that would indicate there was something there at one time.

My main question is what can I do to get some grease on that joint...it REALLY needs it. The boot is flat and we have a "grinding" noise on that side of the vehicle when turning. I am thinking about trying to drill out the broken fitting and replace it with another but don't want to do any permanent damage to the vehicle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat Russell

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-06, 02:08 PM
Many times the factory puts on parts without a grease fitting in them. They are suppost to be pre-greased factory sealed. Usually when the part goes bad and you replace it, the replacement part comes with a grease fitting. If you rub your finger over the part where the grease fitting should be, and it's smooth, most likely there wasn't one in there. Check all around the part, make sure there isn't one on the side somewhere. If you feel a hole where there was one in there, then maybe it broke off or it just came out. If worst comes to worst, you can buy a needle tip greaser for your grease gun. Just poke it through the rubber cup and pump it full of grease that way. At least you'll have some grease in that joint. If it's making noise, it may be to late for the grease, you may have to replace. Try giving it some grease first and see if the joint will lossen up and the noise stops.

Old 03-25-06, 02:28 PM
Thanks...

Looks like it's a needle tip for me. The part is smooth with no indication that there was ever a fitting there. Hopefully that takes care of it.

Pat Russell

Old 03-25-06, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by PatRussell
I was greasing my 98 E350 and when I got to the last fitting (ball joint I think) I discovered there was not a fitting there. Every other joint on the front end has one. I am wondering if there was one there and it got broken off. I don't see a plug or anything that would indicate there was something there at one time.

My main question is what can I do to get some grease on that joint...it REALLY needs it. The boot is flat and we have a "grinding" noise on that side of the vehicle when turning. I am thinking about trying to drill out the broken fitting and replace it with another but don't want to do any permanent damage to the vehicle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat Russell

If you already hear a grinding noise some grease is not gonna fix the problem, if joint is sealed even worse, time to change it I think.