Nauseating Smell

Old 03-27-06, 03:47 AM
Nauseating Smell

I've been noticing marks on the pavement under my car when I pull away in the mornings so I brought it in to a mechanic two days ago who checked the coolant and found nothing leaking. He then soaped the engine and checked for an oil leak and could find nothing. He put a dye in the oil and told me to come back tomorrow and he would check again and try to determine for sure if it is oil or transmission fluid.

The problem is ever since I picked up the car from him two days ago, I have had to drive around with all four windows open because the car stinks something awful of oil. I can't use the heating/cooling vents at all without getting nauseated.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Linda

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-06, 06:43 AM
hi
could be oil leaking on the exhaust pipe or manifold
check pcv valve if not cloug

Old 03-27-06, 05:05 PM
No it is not normal.Oil or coolant is burnning on hot manifold or exhaust pipe. Take back to mechanic and have him in car to show him nauseating smell. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-27-06, 09:32 PM
The most aweful smelling oil has to be gear oil sometimes found in a manual transmission or a rearend

Old 03-27-06, 09:41 PM
This is interesting, I think the easiest would be to disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose and connect it to an old fashioned oil squirter with handle and then put very small amounts of oil in the intake to see a small amount of smoke in the exhaust and check the exhaust manifold gaskets and downpipe for smoke emitting from it. What vehicle is this I may have missed that above.

I agree that gear oil is the worst smell that you could go home to your wife with. Gasoline should be made a cologne.