Battery drain.

Old 03-28-06, 08:28 AM
Unhappy Battery drain.

I have a 2003 Yukon Denali that has some sort of electrical problem that causes the battery to rapidly drain. If I park the vehicle on Friday and leave it, it won't start on Sunday morning. I just purchased a new battery and have had the problem reoccur. I took the battery back to the store where it tested good and they also tested my alternator which tested good. So I guess I have something continuously drawing power. How can I measure the power being used while the vehicle is off using a standard multimeter? Is there any way to quickly isolate the source of this power drain? Thanks in advance for the info.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-06, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by carbonfiber
I have a 2003 Yukon Denali that has some sort of electrical problem that causes the battery to rapidly drain. If I park the vehicle on Friday and leave it, it won't start on Sunday morning. I just purchased a new battery and have had the problem reoccur. I took the battery back to the store where it tested good and they also tested my alternator which tested good. So I guess I have something continuously drawing power. How can I measure the power being used while the vehicle is off using a standard multimeter? Is there any way to quickly isolate the source of this power drain? Thanks in advance for the info.

Pull fuses on fuse boxes ( there should be one under hood another inside by driver's door ) one by one see if there's a tiny spark when putting fuse back on, usually this means voltage going thru fuse contacts at the time , if you can have somebody to check batt with multimeter for any changes as you pull fuses too that'd help.
Not Intended as Professional Advice.

Old 03-28-06, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
At night, check the car for strange, obscured lights such as a glove box light burning with the door shut, or an under the hood light weakly illuminating the ground under the engine. these are sneaky voltage sappers and easy to miss.

Old 03-31-06, 09:23 PM
I agree with the above post....since it is a Denali, check the mirrors....since they have those nice little lights that turn on when you pull the mirrors down....they have drained my battery twice but i fixed that problem.

Old 04-01-06, 07:55 AM
Check your automatic seat adjusters, if applicable. Sometimes they just stick and other times something is too close to them.