Solvent for parts washer?

Old 03-28-06, 01:24 PM
Solvent for parts washer?

Anybody have a recommendation for a good solvent to use in a parts washer? I don't like what I've been using. I have a medium-size home-workshop type parts washer, all metal, I guess it holds 5 or 10 gal of solvent, with electric pump & spray nozzle. Would like to find a solvent that works well, and is easy to dispose of/environmentally friendly. Also something that doesn't cause rusting of parts later on. Suggestions?

MikaMan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-06, 10:50 PM
Many Moons ago we used to use just the cheapest washer machine soap and used to let parts sit for a day or too on the water mix, they were clean when we pulled them out, no residue just kind of soapy, no rust either.

Last edited by mattison; 03-29-06 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post right above your post.
Old 03-29-06, 04:23 AM
What have you been using??

I'm not sure of the brand name off the top of my head right now at work but what I've got I bought at NAPA in a 5gal can. It's great, but not sure of the enviromental friendly part of it either.

Maybe I should have more details before I post.

Old 03-29-06, 06:14 AM
I have allways used Varsoil in my parts washer. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-29-06, 09:52 AM
Our parts washer at work uses mineral spirits. The washer itself is a fancy one that can rejuvenate the fluid.

Old 03-29-06, 02:07 PM
stodert solvent

We use stodert solvent at work or minneral spirits also we have tanks of Jet A fuel.(high grade kerosine)

Old 03-30-06, 01:24 AM
go to a gas station and use k-1 kerosene..been using it for years...then we use it to light campfires when dirty...