Trailer Wiring

Old 03-30-06, 08:08 AM
Trailer Wiring

Could of placed this thread elsewhere, but thought i'd try here first. I'm repairing a four wire lighting system on a trailer. Everything went together nicely except for the fact on one tail light the brake/turn siginal and running light is on at the same time.(other side works properly as do all the clearance/running lights) I've checked the ground all looks good, tested all wiring with test lamp to assure I have the correct connections. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 09:25 AM
If all wires are tested and all are good, no shorted together, I'd look at the bulb itself, try swapping bulbs from left to right and see what happen.

Old 03-30-06, 09:31 AM
Thank You, tried different 1157's and actually swapped the connections and got the same result on the other side. I'm grounded at the plug as well as ran a frame to frame ground, and have the hitch connected as well. Frustrated!!

Old 03-30-06, 09:33 AM
Talking

I would say that the light assy is not properly grounded to the frame. It is seeking a ground through the bulb, been there.

Old 03-30-06, 10:05 AM
Both tail lights are mounted in the same manner. Bolted down thru a round opening in the rear panels (metal to metal) of the trailer. Can you expand on what further part should be grounded.

Old 03-30-06, 01:09 PM
sure it isnt related to the vehicle it is hooked to might try to hook it up to another vehicle sound like it is wired wrong either vehicle or trailer one or the other.

Old 03-30-06, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by rentem
Both tail lights are mounted in the same manner. Bolted down thru a round opening in the rear panels (metal to metal) of the trailer. Can you expand on what further part should be grounded.
I would unbolt the assy and clean where it grounds to the frame, it is the classic ground fault. The bulb holder is ground, the holder is attached to the light assy mount, the mount bolts to the frame, frame is grounded, complete circuit. I have had to unbolt the light assy, clean the light mount and the frame mount to get the ground.

Old 03-30-06, 03:29 PM
I chased a wiring problem around for along time only to find out the problem was with the vehicle wiring.

Old 03-31-06, 08:29 AM
Chasing the problem around is right! (Approx. 8hrs) to find this out!
Sorry for wasting eveyone's time--- both lights weren't on. The tail lights leads were switched causing the brake light to act as the running light and vice versa. The light was so bright it appeared (reflection) both were on, if that makes sense. Thanks Again.

Old 03-31-06, 08:57 AM
Gad to hear you fixed it. Thanks for posting back.