Has anyone here replaced a

Old 03-30-06, 08:27 AM
Red face Has anyone here replaced a

egr valve on a 2000 crysler town and country ? I have taken the air filter assembly off but still can't see the bolts...Just curious if someone here has and can give me any advice on how much trouble it was and what you had to remove to get to it..It is a 3.8 engine.... Thanks to Anyone......Oren

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 09:28 AM
There are two 10mm bolts on the bottom of the valve, just follow the EGR valve and you'll see them, it's not that hard to replace.

Old 03-30-06, 10:52 AM
My problem is getting to the valve....thanks for response

Old 03-30-06, 12:54 PM
I usually use a flexible head ratchet socket and 1 inch extension. usually remove the egr solenoid first then remove the egr valve.

Old 03-30-06, 06:18 PM
thanks for the help guys......oren

Old 03-31-06, 05:42 AM
thanks again guys....Just one more question...The egr valve is working as far as the plunger moving in and out when you rev up the gas...Now can i take it off and clean it and that remedy the problem ...the guy at advance said the scanner detects a flow malfunction with the egr valve...Not trying to be a tight wad, but if i can save 70.00 then i could use it to put a few gallons of gas in....lol thanks Oren

Old 03-31-06, 08:53 AM
usually it is the solenoid that goes bad wich causes the egr code to be set havent had any luck cleaning chrysler egr valves.

Old 03-31-06, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by bejay
usually it is the solenoid that goes bad wich causes the egr code to be set havent had any luck cleaning chrysler egr valves.
I don't know if you can get the solenoid without buying the EGR valve from Chrysler though. I think they're come as an "assembly unit".

Old 04-03-06, 05:19 PM
Hey guys really appreciate all the help...OK..... i removed the egr valve,(wasn't all that hard after all) I cleaned it really good with a small wire brush and a small piece of wire. Soaked it in some gunk carb cleaner to soften the carbon deposits. It wasn't all that dirty as i could tell, i made sure all the passages were open. The valve seemed to be working ok, moving in and out when putting a vacumn on it. I got a new gasket and reinstalled it and the light did not come back on until the next day...Could it be the solenoid that is causing the problem, I didn't know it was a 2 piece thing until i looked it up on the web...Here is a picture of it that you can hopefullly see. Thanks for more opinions ....Oren http://www.smpcorp.com/web_app/catal...ges/EGV596.jpg

Old 04-04-06, 12:00 AM
the dealer usually sells both the egr and solenoid as one piece you can check to see if you can just get the solenoid but you may have to replace it recomend going with a mopar brand some parts stores sells mopar parts besides the dealer.