GM Engine Swap

Old 03-30-06, 09:01 AM
Exclamation GM Engine Swap

Could someone please tell me if a Buick V8 will swap into a GMC pickup easily? The car is a La Sabre not really sure the size, possibly 350. Truck is a 350. Truck tranny is 700 R4. Car is T 350 0r 400, 3 speed auto. Would I also have to swap tranny? Anxiously awaiting reply......
PS....car is 8o model truck is 84

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 09:07 AM
You have to go to a Buick,Oldsmobile,Pontiac transmission if it is a t 350 or 400

Old 03-30-06, 09:13 AM
thanks for reply...so engine will fit but I would have to use Buick tranny also? Is it possible to use adapter for my own tranny? Or could I swap out tranny bellhousings to continue using my own tranny?

Last edited by steve29691; 03-30-06 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-30-06, 01:26 PM
bellhousings cant be swapped out someone may make an adapter not for sure.
you need to find out more about the buick engine, is it a buick engine distributer mounted at the front of the engine? just because the car is a buick doesn't mean the engine is.
why are you doing this, cant you just rebuild or replace the 350 in the truck if it needs a new engine swapping in a non chevy engine isnt going to be very easy.

Old 03-30-06, 02:04 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by steve29691
thanks for reply...so engine will fit but I would have to use Buick tranny also? Is it possible to use adapter for my own tranny? Or could I swap out tranny bellhousings to continue using my own tranny?
Motor mounts may be different. You can make anything fit but it isn't necessarily a "bolt in"

Old 03-30-06, 02:22 PM
thanks for all the input. i have a better idea now about what to do. money is tight right now and i thought if i could swap out a freebie engine i could get my truck back on road fairly quick. i dont have a garage so i hope everyone understands my need to take easiest path of repair. also, at this time i dont know if distributer is in front or back but i will post again when i find out (i THINK it is in back ).

Old 03-30-06, 03:01 PM
if the distributer is in back it could be an olds or chevy engine they used the olds, 5.0, 307 in alot of cars.