power windows on 88 gmc pu

Old 03-30-06, 02:21 PM
map686
Visiting Guest
power windows on 88 gmc pu

I have a 1988 gmc pick up with power windows and locks. The passenger side window is stuck in the down position. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this. Thanks, mp

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 02:34 PM
i have an 84 gmc i had same problem with. if neither side button will move glass i would say motor is shot. it is fairly simple repair, just time consuming. good luck....

Old 03-30-06, 03:08 PM
remove door panel and check for power and ground at the motor connector using a voltmeter or test light while actuating the door switch if you have both, motor is probably bad if missing one or the other probably a switch problem.

Old 04-01-06, 01:56 PM
map686
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help guys. I figured it out with tester and patience. There was 1 wire that was broken in the sleeve that goes between the door and the body. MP

Old 04-01-06, 05:41 PM
2 wires go to the motor. In order to get the motor to go up/down, run in two directions, you need to be able to revrse polarity. That's where the switches come in.
Remove the door panel and put a test light from one wire to the other at the motor connector. NOT to body ground. Work the switch in both directions. If the test light lights in both directions it's the motor. If not, then the switch