tranny fluid

Old 03-30-06, 05:09 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tranny fluid

*****y

friend of mine did a filter and fluid on his hyunda
(please forgive the butchering of car make) and when at the dealers for some exhaust work they said he had the wrong fluid in the car because it was not "THEIR" fluid.
personally....evrything takes dexron/mercon...even the 70's fords and their type "f" was a bunch of malarkey..............
but then again, I have never claimed to know it all or be faultless....any opinions or straight dope on thismatter.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 06:26 PM
B
first, what is the make and model, the year, was the car under warranty(excuse the spelling, no time to look up stuff like that) ?
dealers like to get out from any cost incurred from non- warranty
covered work/fluids. the bottom line here is if you have a vehicle that is under warranty, as much as it hurts for the do it yourselfer,
have them do it. i have a six year warranty on my vehicle, but as much as i like to mod it up, i ain't touching it unless them money-grubbers approve.

barry

Old 03-30-06, 08:28 PM
B
while you dont have to use the manufacturers brand you should make sure that it is equivalent or meets the same specifications as the manufacturers brand.
there is a difference between type f and dexron and other transmission fluids while a transmission may seem to act ok at first regardless of fluid used problems often occur after some time from not using the correct fluid such as a shudder when shifting or excessive clutch wear.

Old 03-31-06, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
And "everything" does not take Dexron/Mercon; there are some notable exceptions.

Here's a pretty good primer on the subject:

http://www.rapidtransmissions.net/techtips2005-08.htm

Old 03-31-06, 07:11 AM
J
The new Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge etc. take a fluid called ATF +3 or type 7176.

I use only OEM fluid in Hondas. I have tried other types and it will change the shift characteristics of these vehicles.

Hyundai list their brand as ATF SP-II for their transmissions.

The type "F" Ford OEM fluid had a friction modifier in it making it a little "grittier" feeling if you rubbed it between your fingers.

I install Amsoil synthetics in my personal vehicles but I make sure it meets the manufactures specifications.

If I were in a real bind I would install any type of fluid, full is better than empty and driving beats walking but if I have a choice I will use the correct fluid whenever possible. My customers appreciate that too!

I agree it does make a difference.

Jeff

Old 03-31-06, 09:28 PM
Use Hyundai

Yes....the dealer is right....if you do not use the fluid from the manufacturer then you will burn the tranmission up! I have seen and heard about this. I even have a friend who had it happen to them.

Old 04-01-06, 02:44 AM
D
thaks to all who replied

It would seem that I have a lot to learn about transmission fluids.I will store this info indefinatly in the noggin and share with others who have shared my opion on the matter.........
"Tow Guy", thanks for the article...printed it and will help when
cofronting hard headed hard old timers who aren't always open to new perspective (could never understand a closed mind when it comes to cars, but...)

thanks again to all who shared....Doug

Old 04-01-06, 03:19 PM
You can use regular ATF, pour a botle of Lubegurd in.I do not what color bottle is used.The lubegard does change ATF into the manufacturer's specified ATF.It says on the packaging and is approved by all of the automakers.You can find Lubegurd at certain autoparts stores.