bump bump goes the taurus

Old 03-30-06, 05:15 PM
bump bump goes the taurus

Car is 2000 Ford taurus 75 thousand miles 3.0l single overhead cam flex fuel.
Today while sitting at a stop light I felt a slight bump bump like someone had tapped me from the rear.I could not get it to do it again but I was almost home.
Trannie was just serviced a few thousand miles ago.It drives fine and shifts good should I worry about it?
Oh I forgot the A/C was on dont know if that is important or not but it might be relevent.
Well since no one posted any ideas since I posted yesterday I drove it again today and it did it again.
Almost feels like a delayed downshift but only when sitting still at a light.

Last edited by michael van; 03-31-06 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-06, 09:45 PM
taurus surge

My 1999 Taurus does something very similar to this. Have you yet had any luck with this problem?

Old 05-30-06, 11:23 PM
Its called back lash and some cars have it. My 89 GMC has it two and has done it for most of its life.

Old 05-31-06, 04:59 AM
No same thing

No it still does it sometimes I try to keep my eye on the tach I think it might have something to do with the torque convertor.It is not bad and only happens sometimes.
Another possible cause might be brakes just slipping a little like when you barley hold them at a stop light and make them groan.

Old 06-01-06, 04:04 AM
Sounds to me like a Ignition System Misfire. Spark plug wires or spark plugs.

Old 06-01-06, 02:23 PM
Ok

Ok thanks Hogfan it might well be that it will not hurt to tune it up since going thru all the reciepts for oil changes and other maintenance I see no tuneup.
Got car for free just had to pick it up in California and drive her back to TX (nice drive with that cruise control set at 83) made it in record time.
Car runs great otherwise however it has its 3rd fuel pump in it and that worries me a bit about Ford Quality I had to replace it one time and it aint cheap.
Do you think Ford OEM stuff for the tune up would be best?

Old 06-01-06, 04:14 PM
Michael.... How long are you sitting still before it does it? Is it as soon as you stop or have you been sitting there awhile? Is your Check engine light on? Has it came on or blinked at ya? Do you smell fuel or any other unusual odors?
Hope this is helpful,
Billy

Old 06-01-06, 04:28 PM
nap
Not enough info to make an accurate call but struts will cause something that sounds similar to your description. When you stop, the rear lifts some and when you come to a complete stop, the rear will settle back. If the struts "bind" a bit, they will do what you describe. The worse they get, the more delayed after stopping. It can sonetimes be made to do it by stopping and then lightly letting off the brakes to allow the suspension to settle.

It would be similar to our442's post in sound but his (I think) is from the drive shaft.

Try pushing down on the either rear quarter of the car. If it is this, you can usually feel it when you do this. It will "pop" slightly as if begins to move.

Old 06-01-06, 04:43 PM
not very long sitting

It takes about 3 seconds before it bumps no check engine light no fuel smell light has never come on even when fuel pump failed but it does light up when key is turned on to test the bulb..
I think a tune up might help cant hurt and I will also check the back struts for binding I have two other cars to drive but this Ford drives a lot nicer then the Corolla or Tacoma so my wife and I use it often.

Old 06-01-06, 05:07 PM
It does kind of sound like a suspension travel type noise description. Could easily be in the front as well. Try to pinpoint it to a location..... Since you said it sounds like Trans earlier, im inclined to believe maybe either weak struts or loose/work strut mount/bushings. I would drive it till it gets worse honestly. Then it will at least be easier to pinpoint.
Good Luck,
Billy

Old 06-01-06, 06:21 PM
Ok

OK I will just drive it and when I get a day off bring it to the Navy Base were they have a pit and a lift were I can get a good look at things.

Old 06-01-06, 08:14 PM
Both the front and rear coil springs have been known to break on the taurus. This is primarily from salt related corrosion in northern states though. Just another thing to look at while it's on the lift.

Old 06-02-06, 02:08 AM
Thanks Jeff

I do not think that is a problem here car has been in California all its life and now in Texas and it had a recall early on for something about front struts that was complyed with as were all recalls done by Ford.

Search this Thread