95 Lumina hasnt been started in a year...

Old 03-31-06, 05:10 AM
95 Lumina hasnt been started in a year...

I am trying to help this older lady who lives across the street from me. I mow her lawn and shovel her snow and other little odds and ends. Anyway, she broke her hip and had other injuries on Thanksgiving 04. Car was started a few times by her son, but nothing in a long time. She isnt going to drive but I would like for her car to still be operational for her.

So, what should be done to a car that hasnt been started in a year?? Change oil, gas, battery??? (hers is dead). If it is really a lot of work I will probably just let it sit, or tell her it should be taken to a shop. I dont want to crack a head or anything. Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-06, 07:00 AM
If the battery was dead through your winter it probably froze and may have cracked the case and leaked battery acid. If acid has leaked, neutralize it with baking soda in water. Hopefully it didn't get on something else to cause a problem. You may very well need a new battery. You can try charging it at a low amperage and I'm not sure what your temps are there yet but be sure it isn't frozen when you charge it. If car is going to sit for extended periods you probably need to disconnect the battery or get one of those battery maintainers that keeps the state of charge up. The gas in the tank is by now very stale. The car may run on it but probably not very well. Get rid of the old gas and then fill the tank and add Sta-Bil gas stabilizer. The engine should be warmed up and then the oil and filter should be changed. If the oil was changed just prior to the car being left to sit you might be able to use it for a while but General Motors wants the oil changed on current vehicles after 1 year regardless of mileage. Check all fluid levels on this car before running it. I'm not sure what you mean by cracking a head on it, if the cooling system is working and the system is protected to at least -30 degrees, that shouldn't happen. Watch the lights and gauges on the dash as you run this car and look for any leaks under the hood also. Check to make sure a family of mice hasn't taken up residence anywhere. If they have they have a habit of knawing on important and expensive items! Check the tire pressure before driving the car and be sure pressures are set to what the door label says. This is about all I can think of for now and I am sure others may come up with other comments. This is at least the minimum that I would do to the car.

Old 03-31-06, 07:43 AM
cool

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a bit much for me to do in my spare time. She cant drive now anyway but I thought it might be nice to make sure it runs in case her son's come in and need a vehicle.