Do you think epoxying a broken weld door hinge would work?

Old 03-31-06, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you think epoxying a broken weld door hinge would work?

I am not kidding. Although, such a question could or perhaps should warrant a smiley face?

Dodge pulled a boner and actually welded on the door hinges of their Spirit cars. The cheapskates!! %####)(G$%#%D^^

I am the fortunate one to not only have the bottom hinge let go on the driver's door, but then when I went crawling out the passenger side, this (bottom one) too broke. The one on the passenger door is so bad now that the metal of the door is all caving in around the hinge. Idiots!! The car runs like a top and I have doors ready to fall off!!!! Now I can't get in and out of EITHER of these doors because the door sags when you open it, soley supported by the top hinges (which are still good, thank goodness), and have to crawl over the front seat to get out the back door! Idiots!

Someone else I know had this happen and they had the hinges rewelded and it only lasted a few months.

How about absolutely gobbing on the epoxy that is two-part that you kneed, that sets in like 6 minutes. What if I were to cram it in the door (hinge area) as well as all around the outer edge of the hinge, to act like how lath works when you plaster, to sort of lock it? Epoxy is very strong. But I am not sure if it will take the type of abuse that opening and closing a door would have exerted on it.

I hate going to shops also and sitting there waiting while work is done. I would like to do this quickly, myself, if I could. What do you think?

Here is another one about Dodge K cars: I had one where the front end got salt working in some joint where the lower A-arm was attached to a very thin frame and it rusted and the front end snapped while I was going down the highway and I started to veer toward oncoming traffic and at the last second it then veered me toward the shoulder, thank God! Nobody wanted to attempt to weld it back on due to not knowing for sure of getting the parts to align perfectly and for liability reasons because all the so-called frame material is just thin crap. Idiots! I had to throw the car away, and it looked nice and ran like a top. Idiots!

Anybody that has one of these frameless-like cars that are getting 15 years old or so needs to periodically get these on a lift and CAREFULY scrutinize the suspension parts to make sure something is not ready to rust/break! About 2 years ago, someone in town with some Chevette-like cheap car was going over a bridge and their whole rear axle came off and I drove by the car sitting on the ground with the dumbell shape rear end up against the bridge rail. Just think, cars like this could be coming at you down the highway. Scary thought.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-06, 03:06 PM
GM did same thing

I had a 89 Chevrolet pickup that also had the doors with Epoxy on the hinges never had a problem with it even when door was forced open hard by wind.
However GM did make a kit were you could put bolts in if door needed replacment.
You are correct cars these days are not like your grandfathers Oldsmobile they are made cheap.

Old 03-31-06, 03:56 PM
Mike,

Who put the epoxy on the pickup truck hinges?

As I stated in my post, mine are (factory) welds. Not epoxy. You mean that you think your hinges were actually epoxyed? Really?

Old 03-31-06, 05:22 PM
gm

Yep GM used an epoxy on the pickups and maybe others check it out if you see an old late 80s GM no bolts.Strong stuff I do not know what kind it was but it was strong.

Old 03-31-06, 05:26 PM
your best bet would be to see a body shop and see what they suggest while there is very strong epoxy that body shops may use to hold body panels on I doubt if it would hold up, they would probably recomend a way to fix your door probably by welding even if they have to add some steel to it to reinforce the area so a weld will hold.

Old 03-31-06, 06:16 PM
I have never had a GM in my shop that was not welded or bolted to the door frame. I like to say at this point it is best to weld new metal on door frame and then bolt or weld hinges on. My 89 GMC are bolted on.In CANADA I see a lot door frames rusted away. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 04-01-06, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by DaVeBoy
Mike,

Who put the epoxy on the pickup truck hinges?

As I stated in my post, mine are (factory) welds. Not epoxy. You mean that you think your hinges were actually epoxyed? Really?
mine has welds and 4 bolts on each hing

Old 04-01-06, 02:08 PM
Thanks for responding, so far everyone. Sort of a mixed bag. I don't know what to think.

Today I was looking at my neighbors 91 Spirit which is identical to mine, and across the top and along the sides of some of HIS hinges it almost looks like when someone sloppily streaks a caulk gun along. His almost resembles a caulk job. Hmmmm. Yet, after I took a careful look at mine, I see some of those little beads down in the grove of the top of the hinge that look like the beads caused when a welder crackles and little pieces fly..like this also happens when one uses a cutting torch...you get those little beads. Know what I mean?

So...on areas around HIS hinges it almost resembles that of caulk. And around mine it looks more like just a weld.

I should research this I suppose by asking the local Chrysler dealership if it really was possible they used an expoxy, or if they are welds. I wonder if I could learn anything if I tried taking a tiny magnet to the 'weld'. Are welds magnetic, or not? I tried picking away at one with a knife and this was inconclusive, as real hard aged epoxy coated in paint could pretty much mimmick steel by picking at it with a knife.

Old 04-01-06, 10:07 PM
I have never seen a car door with epoxy sealant or glue, most likely is painted over welding, can you think of a robotic arm using epoxy ?

Old 04-01-06, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by LouBazooka
I have never seen a car door with epoxy sealant or glue, most likely is painted over welding, can you think of a robotic arm using epoxy ?
He\She has a really good point

Old 04-10-06, 09:43 PM
Please let me know if you find epoxy that is so strong it will hold a door hinge in place! Personally, I would look for recommendations to a small local independent welding shop...they're often funky but if you can find a good and an honest one, they often have a wide range of welding experience.

jc