Overheating

Old 04-01-06, 05:24 PM
Overheating

I have a 1997 Ford Taurus GL 6 cyl that is overheating and it is losing the water as you are driving the car. It flows out of the overflow container. The oil is clear looks good. The engine runs good no misses. I just have to put about a gallon of water in every other day. Do I need to have a pressure check done? Some mechanics say that it is a blown head gasket. Could this be possible with the car running so good and the oil clear? Thanks,Cheryl

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-06, 05:57 PM
Cheryl. Three things flow through a head gasket. Compression, Coolant , and Oil........If your gasket is blown between Compression and coolant, you can be pumping 145psi into a system designed to handle 18psi........and you wont have any sign of coolant in the oil.
NOW........Is the upper radiator hose hot when the engine goes to dump coolant. If you can try to sneak a feel of the radiator .......as low as possible to confirm thermostat operation and coolant flow. If all that is good have someone block check the system ..............a device that breaths vapors from the radiator........if it detects combustion gases the fluid in the device turns from blue to green to yellow.........

Old 04-03-06, 04:52 PM
the following are some usual signs of a blown head gasket: bubbles of air coming up into your radiator (remove cap before starting), leaking radiator, milkshake colored oil, overheating, rough running, coolant or oil running from head, spark plug(s) that have a green tint (if green coolant), white colored or sweet smelling exhaust..

Old 04-04-06, 10:05 AM
try this

Start with a cold car.
Take off radiator cap and start car after filling radiator to top of filler next. Look for constant bubbles. Do not be fooled by shaking or splashing water or one or two initial bubbles. After about 3 or 4 minutes, you should be able to verify exhaust is not getting into the cooling system. While waiting, look at the cap. Does the rubber gasket that sticks the farthest down in the radiator look good? Is it whole? Consider replacing the cap, it is only about $8.

Stop the car and check the dipstick. There should be no water and nothing that looks like coffee with cream and no foam. Look at the entire dipstick and make sure the oil level is not higher than you expect. Ok? No water in the oil.

Put the radiator cap on and start the car with ac off. Grab a book and wait depending on the outdoor temp you should hear the cooling fan come on after about 5-15 minutes. Is your temp in the normal range? If yes, that is good. Is you temp too high with no fan? If no fan you found your problem.

Does the fan come on and stay on? Is your overflow bottle leaking? Check the thermostat. Grab the top radiator hose. It should be very hot. Reach under the car and grab the lower radiator hose. If it is cold, cool, or a lot cooler than the top you have an obstruction, which is most likely to be a faulty thermostat.

Do you have an owner’s manual? Check for a coolant air bleeding procedure.
Does your ac work normally?
Does your heat work?

Old 04-04-06, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Cheryl Crews
I have a 1997 Ford Taurus GL 6 cyl that is overheating and it is losing the water as you are driving the car. It flows out of the overflow container. The oil is clear looks good. The engine runs good no misses. I just have to put about a gallon of water in every other day. Do I need to have a pressure check done? Some mechanics say that it is a blown head gasket. Could this be possible with the car running so good and the oil clear? Thanks,Cheryl
Cheryl, if you know for sure that it's flowing out of the container, you may have to replace that. I had the same problem with a car just like yours, and found a small leak in the container (actually called an expansion tank), then found out the problem is pretty common. If you see coolant dripping on the ground below it, right after you drive and park, look there, or the cap.

This system uses a pressurized expansion tank with the radiator cap on the tank. There is no cap on the radiator itself.

Old 04-05-06, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
And just to add my $.02 worth if you have the 3.8L engine it is a KNOWN head gasket blower, so if the quick and easy fixes don't work it would be a prime suspect.