Avalanche fuel filter replacement

Old 04-02-06, 07:24 AM
Avalanche fuel filter replacement

I'm trying to replace the fuel filter on my '03 Avavlanche. The fuel line (fittings) come off easy enough as well as the bolts securing the housing (plastic holder). I can't get the plastic holder off the fuel filter or the additional lines it's secured to underneath. Any tricks or suggestions? Thanks, Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-06, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by smokef16
I'm trying to replace the fuel filter on my '03 Avavlanche. The fuel line (fittings) come off easy enough as well as the bolts securing the housing (plastic holder). I can't get the plastic holder off the fuel filter or the additional lines it's secured to underneath. Any tricks or suggestions? Thanks, Joe

how many miles on avalanche ? take it to a lube shop or dealership and have the professionals do it, truck too new to start DIYing on it IMO. Usually not expensive.

Old 04-02-06, 10:17 PM
I agree. If you cannot figure it out fairly easy, take it in. Or have someone you know who is familiar with the vehicle do it. Our shop would only charge about $40 to do it, including the new filter.

Old 04-03-06, 01:55 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Mr. Dummas
I agree. If you cannot figure it out fairly easy, take it in. Or have someone you know who is familiar with the vehicle do it. Our shop would only charge about $40 to do it, including the new filter.
40 bucks and the cost of filter too, thats generous. This is why folks do it themselves. :mask: stick em up

Old 04-03-06, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by BuzzCut
40 bucks and the cost of filter too, thats generous. This is why folks do it themselves. :mask: stick em up
If it has a flex-fuel filter, they run about $80 just for the filter.

Old 04-03-06, 06:19 PM

The $40 includes the filter and labor

Old 04-09-06, 04:54 AM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by slls
If it has a flex-fuel filter, they run about $80 just for the filter.

That may be but that wasn't what was posted... Seven bucks for a filter and 33 bucks labor for less than 5 minutes of work. If a person can justify it then fine as it is their cash but IMO it is a ripoff and the exact reason why I contract out some repairs like wheel alignment.

Old 04-09-06, 06:25 AM
You don't want to take the plastic holder off, you want to wiggle the filter out of it, towards the front of the vehicle. One end of the filter has a slight flange on it. You want the filter to slide out of the holder in the opposite direction of this flange.

Old 04-09-06, 06:27 AM
One more thing, be prepared to have fuel running down your arms into your armpits.
And please don't call technicians thieves, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Old 04-12-06, 09:21 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
One more thing, be prepared to have fuel running down your arms into your armpits.
And please don't call technicians thieves, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
I call them as I see em. Sorry you disagree.

Instead of sliding that filter out of the tight azz bracket. Remove the whole thing cut the side that faces out, remove filter. Bolt plastic bracket back in and then the filter can be installed easily. Install the lines and filter wont move.

There are many things an owner can do. Just takes a little knowledge.

Old 04-12-06, 10:25 PM
That may be but that wasn't what was posted... Seven bucks for a filter and 33 bucks labor for less than 5 minutes of work. If a person can justify it then fine as it is their cash but IMO it is a ripoff and the exact reason why I contract out some repairs like wheel alignment.

you don't have to justify anything,you either spend the money or you don't , cheapos are bad for the economy and can never " justify " anything they spend because almost everything is a " ripoff " for them.

Search this Thread