1999 Dodge PU - Battery/Alternator

Old 04-02-06, 08:56 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
1999 Dodge PU - Battery/Alternator

I have a 1999 Dodge PU, 6 Cyl, 2WD, 99,000 miles. Yesterday while driving, a dash light came on displaying " Check Gauges". I looked at the guages and only the "Battery Charge" guage had and unusual reading, it showed no charge. I continued to drive home and as I drove I noticed the time on the radio began to blink. On several occasions, all gauges would show very erratic readings. After perhaps 45 miles, I was coming to a congested area, so I pulled off on to the shoulder. The truck immediately died and would not turn over ( only a clicking noise). I took the battery out and had it tested and it showed that is was bad. I replaced the battery and then drove the turck to the Auto Parts store and had it tested. It showed that the alternator was not charging. The parts store was saying that probably the battery shorted out and just went out. But why would the alternator aslo have gone out. Is it possible that the Alternator went bad and ruined the battery. I am going to have the Alternator rebult on Monday, but my concern is that there is something else electrical that could be wrong ? Any thoughts? Thanks
Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-06, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by MJE49
I have a 1999 Dodge PU, 6 Cyl, 2WD, 99,000 miles. Yesterday while driving, a dash light came on displaying " Check Gauges". I looked at the guages and only the "Battery Charge" guage had and unusual reading, it showed no charge. I continued to drive home and as I drove I noticed the time on the radio began to blink. On several occasions, all gauges would show very erratic readings. After perhaps 45 miles, I was coming to a congested area, so I pulled off on to the shoulder. The truck immediately died and would not turn over ( only a clicking noise). I took the battery out and had it tested and it showed that is was bad. I replaced the battery and then drove the turck to the Auto Parts store and had it tested. It showed that the alternator was not charging. The parts store was saying that probably the battery shorted out and just went out. But why would the alternator aslo have gone out. Is it possible that the Alternator went bad and ruined the battery. I am going to have the Alternator rebult on Monday, but my concern is that there is something else electrical that could be wrong ? Any thoughts? Thanks
Jay

how old was the battery you replaced ? most likely alt volt regulator went bad and fried batt , why don't you get a rebuilt alt with core exchange at your local autoparts store ? they come wiht lifetime warranty as long as you own vehicle and they're cheap too.

Old 04-03-06, 05:28 AM
MJE49
Visiting Guest
Is the voltage regulator built into the alternator is it seperate.

Thanks
Jay

Old 04-03-06, 03:57 PM
the voltage regulator is built into the computer or pcm hopefully its just the alternater that is bad.

Old 04-04-06, 10:13 AM
That's what I was thinking.........T ran into one of those several months ago and it wound up being the PCM.
Three wires on the back of the alternator. Remove the two skinny ones, hold them aside. and turn the ign on......find out which wire is hot from ignition. reassemble . Start the vehicle and run a wire from the terminal that had the NON hot wire when apart and go to ground. That will full field the alt and if the unit is good it should produce about 17 volts like that.
Should the PCM be the problem, you can install an old style voltage regulator with a little patience.......Let me know what happens