check engine light

Old 04-02-06, 08:20 AM
Question check engine light

hi guys...looking for a little guidence here. i have a 1993 Buick LeSabre w/6cyl at about 93k miles. i have owned the car for about 6 months. i'm getting 20-22 mpg on the [email protected] the problem i have is after driving for a long time (30min+) on the highway the "check engine light" comes on and sometimes goes off. very erratic. the light is always off when first started. any easy way to check. o2 sensor? egr? thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-06, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by tinner73
hi guys...looking for a little guidence here. i have a 1993 Buick LeSabre w/6cyl at about 93k miles. i have owned the car for about 6 months. i'm getting 20-22 mpg on the [email protected] the problem i have is after driving for a long time (30min+) on the highway the "check engine light" comes on and sometimes goes off. very erratic. the light is always off when first started. any easy way to check. o2 sensor? egr? thanks in advance guys.

Take it to your local autoparts store and have the troublecodes read, usually a free service, go from there, erase codes once you have replaced parts to ensure you got it right.
It could be anything from a single misfire to cat converter going bad, read codes first.

Old 04-02-06, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
'93 should be OBD-1; you can read the codes yourself by jumpering the test connector and counting check engine light flashes:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Post back here what you find.