Door Lock Problem 1997 Honda Civic Ex

Old 04-02-06, 11:49 AM
Smile Door Lock Problem 1997 Honda Civic Ex

I have an electric door lock (rear door) that will not unlock either automaticialy or manualy. Since the door will not open, I can not remove the inner panel. How can I get to the lock to service it.
I also noiticed on the other rear door, that Honda has a a small white latch button below the lock latch on the inside door panel. and it says lock on it, this also can only be accessed when the door is open. I can find no reference to this latch in the owners manual or the official Honda service manual, and am wondering if this latch got activated, thus blocking my efforts to manualy open the door ? .....................

Found A FIX:
Found that by removing the seat back and rear seat I could get to the area inside where the switch for the over head interior light made contact with the door. Checking the other door I found that this switch was about 1 inch above the door latch. I drilled a 3/4 inch hole that allowed me access to the closed latch. I was able to work the latch open and thus the door also opened. I was now able to removed the door panel and lubricate all of the moving parts. Door now works fine, and I purchased a rubber plug to seal the hole I drilled, and it looks fine when you open the door .

Last edited by Banker1; 04-17-06 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Found A Fix
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-06, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that the button you are referring to is a child safety lock. This would prevent opening from the inside regardless of whether the normal lock was set or not.

You should be able to unlock the door normally, then open it from the outside. If not, something may have broken internally.

Old 04-02-06, 12:35 PM
You probably have a locked up actuator....I know on the Mustang, mine was held in by one pop rivot that I drilled out. I was lucky because mine was stuck on open...anyways, I would take it to a mechainic or find a way to unlock it by loosening the latches that catch the door striker.

Search this Thread