starter or ignition ?

Old 04-03-06, 09:49 PM
starter or ignition ?

Is there a way to tell if a starter is bad , or if it the ignition is bad without replacing both? I have a 1995 Mercury Sable that for the past few days would sometimes not start. Now it won't start at all. I have power to run everything, so I don't believe it's an alternator or battery problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 12:07 AM
if you are getting power to the starter at the smaller wire while trying to start the engine and it will not crank over it probably is a bad starter you will probably need someone to attempt to start the car while you are checking for power with a test light.
you can also do a tap test on the starter by tapping on it with a hammer if it cranks over after tapping on it it is a starter problem.
if no power could be electrical like ignition switch or nuetral safety if your sure the battery is ok have you even tried jump starting to see if it makes any difference.

Old 04-04-06, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by nwlady
Is there a way to tell if a starter is bad , or if it the ignition is bad without replacing both? I have a 1995 Mercury Sable that for the past few days would sometimes not start. Now it won't start at all. I have power to run everything, so I don't believe it's an alternator or battery problem.
Does it have a starter solenoid like the old Ford/Merc uesd to have or they are using gear reducing starter?. I may be wrong here but I think the starter soleniod is the problem. You need to do some testing to find out which one is which, solenoid? or starter?.

Search this Thread