car won't start, help!

Old 04-04-06, 12:49 PM
car won't start, help!

I have a 93 civic that won't start. a few days ago the beep on the alarm wasn't working a few times and this morning it wouldn't start, which leads me to think it's the battery, but all the lights on the inside pannel work fine, the windows roll up and down and the beep is strong. I can hear the starter that is fine it is so promising when I turn the key, it sounds like it will start right up, but then nothing happens. please let me know if you have any suggestions. I am going to try the battery and perhaps the alternator tonight, any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 12:52 PM
Try jumping it before you start buying parts.

Old 04-04-06, 01:32 PM
If it's turning over

If it's turning over, it isn't the battery or alternator (the alternator would only prevent the battery from charging, it would not prevent it from starting). If it is turning over and not starting, the big culprits would be fuel or spark. Determining what is causing the lack of above is the hard part (and would require more info).

Old 04-04-06, 06:28 PM
fuel or spark

I am with the fuel or spark assumption your starter turns fine so battery is good and alt does not even come into play unless battery is down.
get some starter fluid and squirt some into the intake after the air filter and try it if it fires up and dies it is a fuel issue.

Old 04-04-06, 07:27 PM
Cranks but will not start?.Takes three things to make an engine run, Fuel, Spark, and Compression. #1 would be to take an old plug stick it in a wire and have someone crank the engine........check for spark. ALSO remove the oil cap and see if you can get a peek at the camshaft. Have someone crank the engine and see if the cam is spinning (Timing Belt failure???)
As Mike said, a squirt of starting fluid will tell you if it's a fuel issue
If the cam ISN'T spinning with the engine. (double check by removing the distributer cap and watching the rotor as the engine turns over) and the Timing Belt took a dump, be advised these are what's called an interference engine........a valve bender.......

Old 04-05-06, 04:06 AM
that is correct

That is correct about your timing belt Honda engines will bend valves and self destruct if it breaks.
So if you have a high mile engine and never replaced the belt that is also possible.
Do like wrench said and hope it is not broken.
(also it would sound diffrent when starting) faster as starter does not have to spin the camshaft.

Old 04-05-06, 05:22 AM
Timing belt

As one who has experienced a timing belt failure first hand (not on a Honda, but it bent 15 of 16 valves and broke nearly all valve guides), I can say it definitely does sound different when trying to start (a whir rather than a crank, because all you hear is the started turning rather than the engine, if that makes sense).

A note about checking the spark "on a wire", do NOT hold the plug unless you (and what you are holding on to) are well insultated. Once again, from experience (I was young, stupid and Dad wanted a good laugh, it was only a mower engine), the jolt of a firing plug can wake you up real fast!. The best thing to do is to turn it over yourself and have someone else handle the plug, preferrably someone you don't really like.

Search this Thread