94' ranger hydraulic clutch

Old 04-04-06, 06:16 PM
94' ranger hydraulic clutch

I have a 94' ranger 4x4 with a 5spd. tranny and my clutch wont hold its pressure. Especially in cold conditions it goes for a week or two and then starts to take right on the floor and eventually wont disengage making it hard to shift, especially in 1st and reverse. When I bleed it you can open the screw and it drips for a second and then air bubbles some out of it. You close the screw after that and the clutch is pretty good for a while until it gets air in it again. Lately after you bleed it it doesnt have as much of an effect and it doesnt last as long and it is getting annoying. Im not really sure if it is the master cylinder or the slave cylinder or something in between. The fluid also does not go down between bleedings so i cant imagine it would be leaking. If anyone has any tips I would really apperciate it. Another thing is that there is a white plastic collar around the clutch line where it enters the housing and presumably the slave cylinder. This white collar is split on one side, could that do anything? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 06:24 PM
cheap

You are sucking air probbably thru a bad seal in the master cyl.
However the slave cyl and as a matter of fact the master cyl are not all that high in cost.
I would replace both and flush out all old fluid while you are at it.
There is not much to that system however if Ford saw it fit to put the slave inside it might be a little harder to change it.

Old 04-04-06, 06:45 PM
thanks for the quick reply. The master cyliners i priced were $100 give or take and i am hesitant on tackling the slave cyliner since it is inside the housing and i will need to remove the tranny and transfer case is either more likely to go bad. By the looks of things the master cylinder has been replaced before becasue the foam is cut away to get at it and the bolt in it is not a stock one. Thanks

Old 04-04-06, 06:48 PM
Check under the dashboard and see if there's a fluid trail down the firewall...........Next problem is the slave........it's INSIDE the bellhousing, meaning you're going to do a clutch job disc and all cause the trans is gonna have to come out.
When everything is reassembled hydraulic wise. DO NOT install the master until you powerbleed the system. The way the system is designed it traps air at the TOP of the master with no way to get it out.

Old 04-04-06, 06:59 PM
thanks for the help guys. What is powerbleed? I know a guy with a thing you put on and it has a little vaccum and pulls the fluid through into a glass cup. Is this a power bleed? Also anytime I have looked around the master cylinder inside and out i have never found any fluid and the level in the resivour never goes down. Thanks

Old 04-04-06, 07:11 PM
Two ways to do it. One had a reservoir of fluid that was forced under air pressure through the master out the bleeder in the slave.
Me personally, I use a vacula, that sucks fluid from the slave by vacuum. Then all you have to do is make sure the master cyl has plenty of fluid and doesn't run dry.It's safer as far as having brake fluid coming in contact with painted surfaces

Search this Thread