No heat 1996 Ford Explorer V-6

Old 04-06-06, 11:05 AM
No heat 1996 Ford Explorer V-6

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V-6.

The heater is blowing cold air. Just replaced the thermostat. AC works fine. Have circulation, hoses hot coming in and going out of heater core, valves are open. Fuses fine.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 11:26 AM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by cheryl.dawson
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V-6.

The heater is blowing cold air. Just replaced the thermostat. AC works fine. Have circulation, hoses hot coming in and going out of heater core, valves are open. Fuses fine.

Any suggestions?
Try removing the inlet and outlet hose from your heater and hook up a garden hose to the inlet and flush it down. Your hoses maybe getting hot but water flows very slow through the heater due to clogged core.

Old 04-06-06, 11:54 AM
Question

Thanks for the suggestion, hubby will try it. Here's a little more info:

The heater/AC is climate controlled (auto). Motor on recirculation door is working. When you turn the temp up, it switches to heat but blows cold air. When you turn down the temp it switches to AC.

Is there anything behind the dash (heater) that could possibly get unhooked/unplugged? I ask this because the heater worked fine Sunday, but that afternoon I did some digging around in the glove compartment looking for something. The glovebox was quite full and I thought it may have fallen thru one of the holes behind the glovebox so I unhooked it and fumbled around in there. Then on Monday going to work, the heater was no longer working. Coincidence? Doubtful. Thanks for any help you can give. Cheryl

Last edited by cheryl.dawson; 04-06-06 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 04:55 PM
there are a lot of vacuum/servo controls that open or close the (not trying to sound like a smart a** , but i try to keep the terms as simple as possible because others read this with the same problem) duct work for the interior of the vehicle, as well as allowing the air coming into the car. start from there, i'm sure you will find the problem. let us know how it turns out,

barry

Old 04-07-06, 04:55 AM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Having learned more about your problem, the heater core must be just fine. And yes, in the back of your glove compartment are hoses which are connected to a solenoid. It activates certain flapper which selects AC or heater. Good luck!

Old 04-07-06, 06:22 AM
Smile

Thanks so much for the feedback. I was afraid it was something I did. My hubby calls me a bull in a china shop.
Now the question is: do I have to take out the entire dash? How do I get behind the heater control to get at the hoses?

Old 04-07-06, 12:35 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by cheryl.dawson
Thanks so much for the feedback. I was afraid it was something I did. My hubby calls me a bull in a china shop.
Now the question is: do I have to take out the entire dash? How do I get behind the heater control to get at the hoses?
Your hubby should be able to remove the glove compartment box, it is easy. Then he can look inside and check for a hose that looks disconnected.

Old 04-08-06, 11:12 AM
Those vehicles have external heater control valves.........99% of the time, no heat/no overheat it's a HCV problem.......Just chect the vacuum going to the valve with the control all the way to hot and all the way to cold. Then you MAY have to get involved with the vacuum lines

Old 04-08-06, 12:07 PM
Deanh
Visiting Guest
Hi Cheryl

A big problem with Explorers is the hot/ Cold blend door breaks.

Follow this link and read the post's carefully and check out the links on how to fix the blend door.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24962

This is the fix it link
http://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.php...nddoorfix.html

Dean