1999 VW Jetta hesitates and picks up ubruptly

Old 04-06-06, 11:16 AM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
1999 VW Jetta hesitates and picks up ubruptly

Jetta, 90 miles, 6 cyl. It hesitates at low speed even if you press on the gas pedal and after about 2 secs it will pick up ubruptly. It also died once on the freeway but it re-started when I placed it in neutral and free wheeling. Any ideas? please help...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 12:17 PM
any lights?

Is your check engine light on?how about when you punch it at hi speed as if you are going to pass someone.Have you ever done any tuneup to car?

Old 04-07-06, 05:01 AM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
The check engine light was on but was re setted by the dealer. They said it happened because the battery once lost power which I don't remember. Now the check engine light is not on, however the problem is still there. When I drive the car from a stand still, as it reaches about 5 mph it will not go faster and you hear the engine at higher rpm and after about 2-3 secs the gear will engage which causes the car to ubruptly accelarate.

Old 04-10-06, 09:33 PM
It sounds like you're describing a problem with the automatic transmission... when you hear the engine going to a higher rpm but the car doesn't speed up or speeds up slower than you'd expect for the rpm that could be a slipping transmission. Try the car on a hill, especially a steep one, and see if the problem becomes more obvious.

jc