idler arms on 98 astro van

Old 04-06-06, 04:14 PM
idler arms on 98 astro van

What is involved in replacing the idler arms on a 98 astro 2WD van? My Haynes manual does not address it. Thanks!

Pecos

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 06:51 PM
2 nuts..........4 bolts.............ten minutes............OH yeah!!!! Grease the whole front end

Old 04-07-06, 02:27 AM
Thanks! I figured it must be a no brainer if they didn't even include it in the book, but I didn't want to get in the middle of something and run into an unforeseen problem. This board is great.

Pecos

Old 04-07-06, 10:24 AM
OK. Maybe not such a no-brainer. I took the bolts out of the frame, and the nut off the bolt (post) that connects the idler arm to the relay rod. However, I can't get the bolt (post) to slide out of the hole in the relay rod. Is there something I'm missing? I can't see any kind of snap ring or cotter pin holding it in. This is on the right side. I haven't messed with the left side yet. Thanks!

Pecos

Old 04-07-06, 10:14 PM
Go buy a pickle fork from the auto parts store. Or, just take a big hammer and beat on the relay rod where the stud is seated.

Old 04-08-06, 05:06 AM
Pickle fork or whack it with a hammer. The shock will break it free. It's a tapered fit

Old 04-08-06, 05:19 AM
I tried the hammer to beat it out, but had to get the fork. It worked and all is well. Thanks!

Pecos

Old 04-11-06, 03:22 AM
Congrats on getting the idler arm replaced. One note worth mentioning. Idler arms and ball joints on GM trucks are probably the most mis-diagnosed components of any front end on any vehicle. The proper way to fail one of these is to grasp the relay rod and move it up and down with 25 ft/lbs of pressure, and to measure the amount of deflection. A quarter of an inch deflection is allowed. To the naked eye it may appear it's moving way more than that, but upon measuring it with a dial indicator, it is usually found the arm is far under specs. Grasping the right front tire and jerking it back and forth while watching the arm move up and down is a sure fire way to improperly fail this component.