rpm at 4000 in park

Old 04-08-06, 11:17 PM
rpm at 4000 in park

hi. recently ran out of gas. after i used a gas can to fill it.. i went to go heat it up.. went in the house for about 5 minutes and when i came back out the rpms were at 4000.. shifted into park they lowered.. put it back in park they went back to 4000.. put it in reverse they lowered.. back in park back to 4000. i've been having difficulty with the idle being real low. hard to keep it running at red lights and so on. is it safe to drive? should i worry about this while i'm driving. any input greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-06, 04:44 AM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by hakernsy
hi. recently ran out of gas. after i used a gas can to fill it.. i went to go heat it up.. went in the house for about 5 minutes and when i came back out the rpms were at 4000.. shifted into park they lowered.. put it back in park they went back to 4000.. put it in reverse they lowered.. back in park back to 4000. i've been having difficulty with the idle being real low. hard to keep it running at red lights and so on. is it safe to drive? should i worry about this while i'm driving. any input greatly appreciated. thank you for your time.

If it truly is 4K rpm can you say "boom" if you leave it there? Have someone look at your idle speed controller as it may be going south.

Old 04-09-06, 05:37 PM
"boom??"

would that be a blown-engine boom or an explosive-type boom? big difference. i actually drove it around the block earlier (prior to reading the "boom" thing) and when i got back it was fine in park. is it actually safe to drive again to have it looked at?

Old 04-09-06, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Are you sure you're talking about 4000 rpm? That would be SCREAMING. Think that's what Buzz was wondering.

Old 04-12-06, 09:12 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Are you sure you're talking about 4000 rpm? That would be SCREAMING. Think that's what Buzz was wondering.
You are correct. If it was 4K it wouldn't last too long and your engine block would be a custom window model.

Old 04-12-06, 10:23 PM
ok... i'm pretty sure it was at 4000. it states rpm's x 1000 and it was at 4. that would be 4,000 right?? i rarely even see it at 4 while going 70+ on the highway. i hate to sound like a "woman" driver but..what is meant by my block becoming a "custom window model"? we must be in the dark ages here in PA but i don't quite get it.

i did, however, drive it around the past few days and it seems to be operating normally. well, as normal as a vehicle with 160,000+ miles operates. as far as "SCREAMING".. it sounded like someone was driving it full speed.. and it wasn't moving. =)

Old 04-13-06, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Ok. That pretty much describes 4000 rpm. The custom window model would be the one you have after an over-revving engine throws a piece of a rod through the side of the engine block.

As to the original problem there would be several possibilities such as dirt in the intake system or even a throttle linkage hanging up.

Do we understand the problem has gone away now?

Old 04-13-06, 05:02 AM
Question

What is the make,model & year?