2000 Jimmy/Envoy rear axel removal?

Old 04-09-06, 06:35 AM
2000 Jimmy/Envoy rear axel removal?

My wifes car has been making a whining/humming noise from the left rear when rounding corners.
I have new wheel bearing(s)/seal(s) in hand. I removed road wheel .caliper, rotor, etc. I can't figure out how to get the axel out?
I've searched the archives...it's Sunday and most auto parts stores are closed (looking for a Haynes/Chitlon manual).
Any help?
Maybe I'll just have to wait for a manual.
I've pulled axels on GMC 3/4 ton p/u's, Ford F-250's, and even my 1970 Ford F600 Dumptruck. This Envoy has me stumped!!!
TIA
jonny
8-)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-06, 08:08 AM
OK Jonny here goes.......
First, remove wheels brakes and rotors to expose axles
Next, from under the truck, remove the differential cover. You'll see the pinion gear and will be able to rotate the driveshaft till you see a 5/16 (8mm)set screw/bolt......remove the bolt
Let the large shaft fall out of the diff. At this point you'll be able to push the axles IN which will release the "C" clip that retains them.....
"C" clip removed, you'll be able to extract the axle.
PLEASE NOTE....If you have a humming from the rear ALL bearings should be inspected/replaced as necessary.
AND............MOST newer cars/trucks use synthetic gear lube.not 90W oil like their "forefathers"

Old 04-09-06, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by wrench47
OK Jonny here goes.......
First, remove wheels brakes and rotors to expose axles
Next, from under the truck, remove the differential cover. You'll see the pinion gear and will be able to rotate the driveshaft till you see a 5/16 (8mm)set screw/bolt......remove the bolt
Let the large shaft fall out of the diff. At this point you'll be able to push the axles IN which will release the "C" clip that retains them.....
"C" clip removed, you'll be able to extract the axle.
PLEASE NOTE....If you have a humming from the rear ALL bearings should be inspected/replaced as necessary.
AND............MOST newer cars/trucks use synthetic gear lube.not 90W oil like their "forefathers"
I figured it had to be that!
Thanks!
jon
8-)

Search this Thread