Water and Antifreeze in my oil engine

Old 04-10-06, 09:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Water and Antifreeze in my oil engine

I need help...My sister had used my car and she said it was overheating so she put water and antifreeze in my car, but come to find out she put it into the oil engine and not the radiator. I didn't notice she had did that until I took it to the store and smoke came out from the back and when i went to check the oil, it was milky lookin. i then called her and she told me what she had did. What needs to be done to fix this? would a normal oil change do it. Thanks, Ranee

Old 04-10-06, 09:42 AM
W
are you sure she put it in the wrong place or are you just basing that on there being water in the oil? Overheating can cause things like blown head gaskets, cracked blocks and other sweet things that will put water into the oil.

If you're certain she put it in the wrong hole, change oil and filter immediately and it will likely be ok.

Old 04-10-06, 10:02 AM
yes i am sure she put it in there. she told me what she did but dudn't realize it till she already did it. i am so mad at her..she wasn't gonna tell me until i drove about 5 blocks down the street and saw smoke then turned around and parked it and when i went to check the oil it was milky looking. i don't know much about cars but i know that it's not suppose to look like that. i call advance quick lube around the corner and they have some cleaner they said i can put in before the oil change and it should help. i hope so, cuz that car is all i got. thanks for answering my question. ~ranee~

Old 04-10-06, 10:22 AM
W
Originally Posted by raneelove77
yes i am sure she put it in there. she told me what she did but dudn't realize it till she already did it. i am so mad at her..she wasn't gonna tell me until i drove about 5 blocks down the street and saw smoke then turned around and parked it and when i went to check the oil it was milky looking. i don't know much about cars but i know that it's not suppose to look like that. i call advance quick lube around the corner and they have some cleaner they said i can put in before the oil change and it should help. i hope so, cuz that car is all i got. thanks for answering my question. ~ranee~
The "cleaner" is usually just kerosene and won't do much good in a case like this. A quick oil and filter change should put you back in business.

Old 04-10-06, 10:51 AM
Same here, most flushes are kerosene... useless, more useless to remove water, the damage is done, do 2 or 3 quick oil changes to get the water out, when the engines brought up to temp, the water will be burnt off, but if antifreeze was in with the water... the antifreeze likes to stay behind when its burned off...

Old 04-10-06, 01:36 PM
Same here, most flushes are kerosene... useless, more useless to remove water, the damage is done, do 2 or 3 quick oil changes to get the water out, when the engines brought up to temp, the water will be burnt off, but if antifreeze was in with the water... the antifreeze likes to stay behind when its burned off...
so u are saying that the antifreeze will stay in the oil engine???

Old 04-10-06, 02:03 PM
M
It will come out

It will come out after several oil changes I would change oil often now for the next 5 thousand or so miles.Drain oil and change it drive maybe 50 or so miles drain it again and then increase the mileage between oil changes looking at the oil you take out for a guide on its condition.
However why did it overheat in the first place?(not a normal thing)

Old 04-10-06, 05:46 PM
It will come out after several oil changes I would change oil often now for the next 5 thousand or so miles.Drain oil and change it drive maybe 50 or so miles drain it again and then increase the mileage between oil changes looking at the oil you take out for a guide on its condition.
However why did it overheat in the first place?(not a normal
well last week my uncle said it was overheating because i needed a new radiator cap. he just told me to keep the water and antifreeze filled until i get paid to get the cap which i got paid today... and my sister used the car and she was there when my uncle told us and apparently can't read the caps put it in the wrong place.

Old 04-10-06, 06:36 PM
M
Talking some advice

If I were you I would get the new cap and have your sister pay for some of the oil changes That is just what I would do.
Let us know how it turns out please.

Old 04-10-06, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by raneelove77
so u are saying that the antifreeze will stay in the oil engine???
no, simply stated a flush is a waste of money... a few oil changes to remove traces of it, and the engine, when it gets up to temp should well enough burn and very minute trace amounts off.... antifreeze in the oil will mix with the oil, after a few oil changes should be gone, if she did put antifreeze and water.. if it was just water, then thats better... any of which of course don't lube well...., the damage is done but you should still get quite some years out of it...

Old 04-11-06, 04:44 AM
W
Engine flushing is good when an engine is gummed up, generally due to lack of proper oil changes. The need for this might be indicated by tappet ticking noise or extremely dirty oil.

The kerosene can cut through the mung and restore/improve oil flow to the top end of the engine. The downside is that your car will smoke like a mosquito truck while its working

Other than that, flushing is really not useful.

Old 04-11-06, 05:39 AM
Y
Well... sure hope she doesn't get a hold of my car :-P

Quite honestly, water and antifreeze in the engine's hot components should evaporate and burn up pretty fast, if anything you'll see just like you said, smoke due to the antifreeze burning. I'd just flush out the oil and just put new oil in and a new oil filter it should do the trick. I'm not an expert but seems pretty logical). Hope it helps!

Old 04-11-06, 09:09 AM
Talking Thank you :)

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your advice. I had to take it to Advanced Quik Lube around the corner and they spent about an hour cleaning it out. I haven't seen smoke blow out the back yet so that is a good sign.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: