Transmission Oil

Old 04-11-06, 08:19 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transmission Oil

Folks;
I have a 2000 chrysler 300m with 62000 miles on it.Recently while having my tires rotated The service manager recommended
I have the transmission fluid power flushed.He said they disconnect the lines and pump all the fluid out.The cost would be $100 dollars.I asked him if they changed the filter also he
said they didn't.My question is is this worth it since they don't
change the filter? Thank you in advance.
Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-06, 08:40 AM
W
In my opinion, no.

Old 04-11-06, 08:47 AM
G
gsr
Hard to say...

I've seen a lot of arguments for and against it. A lot depends on how the vehicle is used and what condition the fluid is in. If the fluid is still good (not burnt) I've seen a lot of arguments for replacing the filter and the 4-6 qts of fluid that can be replaced by dropping the pan. Then alternate between a full flush the next time and a filter change the following time. If the fluid is burnt definately flush it all and consider paying the extra to change the filter too otherwise I just alternate. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer but I haven't seen a solid argument either way yet.

Old 04-11-06, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 41 Posts
The original trans in my wrecker went something like 350,000 miles with just routine fluid and filter changes. In my never-to-be-humble opinion the fluid flushes are profit-makers for the garage with negligible benefits for the vehicle owner. The wrecker gets fluid every 10k miles and filter every other change. My personal vehicles I do every 25,000 miles [our previous car - '95 Camry - had over 175,000 miles on it and still going strong, including the tranny, when we traded it; never had a tranny flush]. Hopefully this wasn't the first time you had the tranny serviced?

If you search previous posts here you'll get some lively discussions on the subject.

My $.02 worth.

Old 04-11-06, 01:24 PM
J
I own and operate a transmission repair facility and have been in the business for about 25 years. I have always recommended to my customers that the filter be changed reguardless of the type of service you do. Whether it is a complete flush or what we refer to as a basic where as indicated above by GSR you drop the pan and change approximately 1/2 the contents of the transmission. A filter by definition is "A device through which a liquid or gas can be passed to seperate out suspended matter."
It is my opinion that the filter be changed to keep the debris from recycling through the valvebody and hanging the shift valves. The filter has done its job if it has trapped the "normal particles" of day to day driving. The exception to this rule is if the filter is a servicable type meaning a metal screen that you can simply remove, wash and return to service.

I use the color of the fluid to determine which service I should do. As indicated above by GSR if the fluid is red I will do what I refer to as a basic service and change the filter and approximately half the contents of the transmission. If the fluid is brown, black or other color than red it is an indication that is has absorbed too much heat, this indicates to me it is time to flush it completely providing it was otherwise operating "normally".
The fluid in my 2001 Toyota Camry at 30,000 miles was already brown from heat therefore I did a complete flush and refilled with a synthetic to help with the high heat it apparently was seeing.
I take each car as a seperate case since peoples driving habits are different. Plow trucks and vehicles that do alot of towing (landscapers, cement workers) I recommend once a year.
I cannot tell you how many fluid and filter changes I have passed up over the years knowing that servicing the transmission was not going to resolve the customers problems and it would only be a waste of their money.
I hope this helps with your decision.

Jeff

Last edited by jaws; 04-11-06 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 11:01 PM
tranny fluid

tranny fluid is basically hydraulic fluid and needs to be changed every so often based on a number of factors, just to share my experience my rad went south on a chevy suburban, when taking out tranny lines i noticed the fluid was really brown so i decided to change filter on tranny, sure enough the filter was very dirty and i had sludge on bottom of tranny pan ( inside), so i replaced filter and added 5 quarts of new fluid.
my advice would be change filter and refill with high quality tranny fluid not the generic stuff they used at most shops, try to get synthetic if you can.

Old 04-12-06, 05:27 PM
K
I'm a firm believer in completely exchanging the transmission fluid every 30K.

After changing the filter the first or second time, you can probably skip dropping the pan, since less break-in debris is generated. I say this because many of my middle-aged cars look pretty clean when I drop the pan, hence, I sometimes skip that part.