1999 Grand Am low coolant problem.

Old 04-11-06, 11:05 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Grand Am low coolant problem.

The car: 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT, automatic, 3400 V6, 99,000 miles.

The problem: Today my Low Coolant light came on when I was driving. I immediately pulled over to a gas station to see what the problem was. A little coolant drained out the short rubber tube near the coolant reservoir cap. When the car cooled down, I checked the coolant level. It was slightly low but just barely. It was maybe 1/2" or 3/4" below the coolant fill line. I put more coolant in to fill it up to the line, but the Low Coolant light was still on. The car does not overheat. After the car warms up, the gauge reads a steady 200 degrees just like it always does. But the Low Coolant light doesn't turn off.

Anyone know what the problem is?

[Just before the Low Coolant light came on, I had to flip a fast U-turn in the road. I don't know whether that caused coolant to slosh around and do something that caused the light to come on.]

Old 04-11-06, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by bigtard
The car: 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT, automatic, 3400 V6, 99,000 miles.

The problem: Today my Low Coolant light came on when I was driving. I immediately pulled over to a gas station to see what the problem was. A little coolant drained out the short rubber tube near the coolant reservoir cap. When the car cooled down, I checked the coolant level. It was slightly low but just barely. It was maybe 1/2" or 3/4" below the coolant fill line. I put more coolant in to fill it up to the line, but the Low Coolant light was still on. The car does not overheat. After the car warms up, the gauge reads a steady 200 degrees just like it always does. But the Low Coolant light doesn't turn off.

Anyone know what the problem is?

[Just before the Low Coolant light came on, I had to flip a fast U-turn in the road. I don't know whether that caused coolant to slosh around and do something that caused the light to come on.]

Some older OBD systems had no way to reset them but to disconnect batt for 5 minutes or so, sensor may have signaled low coolant level and light came on, it also could be a deffective coolant level sensor, usually located on reservoir tank.

Old 04-12-06, 03:39 AM
B
its not uncommon for the sensor float in the reservoir to stick if you tap on it it at the location of the sensor it will generally jar it loose and cause the light to go back off.

Old 04-12-06, 09:21 AM
B
I'll tap the tank after school to see whether that fixes the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-12-06, 05:42 PM
B
Yeah but the coolant coming out the vent on the reservoir is reason for concern. Was it just worked on ? And are u sure it was only a little low on coolant?

Old 04-12-06, 07:20 PM
B
Problem Fixed -- For Now

Originally Posted by bigguy05641
Yeah but the coolant coming out the vent on the reservoir is reason for concern. Was it just worked on ? And are u sure it was only a little low on coolant?
It was not just worked on. I am sure it was just a little low on coolant. I put some coolant in a 1 liter bottle, and started dumping it into the clear plastic coolant tank. It was overfilled after about 1/2 the bottle, so I siphoned some out. (Don't worry, I didn't use my mouth.) It was probably 6 or 8 ounces low. After I filled it, the light didn't turn off.

After I wiggled the wire leading to the sensor and knocked on the tank with my fist the Low Coolant light turned off.

Here's where the sensor is for anyone else who might run into the same problem: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3...tsensor7nd.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: