Fixing Fiberglass bumpers

Old 04-12-06, 04:06 AM
Fixing Fiberglass bumpers

Hi guys,

I have a crack on my rear bumper and I think water is getting into the car from there.

I was wondering how I would go about fixing this problem. Is it possible to use fiberglass matts and "bondo-hair" (aka. kitty hair) to fix cracks in fiberglass bumpers?

Guess my question is that will "bondo-hair" adhere to fiberglass/plastic bumpers? Or should I buy one of those "fiberglass-repair" kits?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-06, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
Make & model?

You won't be getting water inside the vehicle from a cracked bumper.

Old 04-12-06, 07:33 AM
93 CIVIC DX HB.

I havent had time to investigate the water leak. Im suspecting its the from the crack either that or the weather seals.

But regardless I want to fix the crack in the bumper.
Do u know if "bondo-fair" / fiberglass bondo will ahere to plastic/fiberglass bumpers?

thanx

Old 04-12-06, 08:03 AM
If you actually have a fibreglas bumper cover, then the repair kit to which you refer would be appropriate. That said, I am not aware of any cars actually having fibreglas bumper covers. Most modern vehicles have a semi-flexible cover which is made of a urethane material. I am very doubtful that the fibreglas repair material would work over the long haul.

Old 04-12-06, 03:53 PM
Hi thank for the replies,

Im not really sure what my bumper covers are made out of. I just assumed they're made of fiberglass/some form of plastic.

But basically its a stock bumper cover, so I really dont know what the composition is. I just need to fix the crack, without buying a new bumper.

So fiberglass-bondo will not work good for this situation?

thanx again.

Old 04-12-06, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
You might want to investigate just getting a replacement cover. They're not that expensive except for having to have them painted to match the car. If you can put up with leaving it the color it comes (black, gray, white) that would be the way to go. We're talking $60 or so + shipping:

http://www.ezbodyparts.com/buy/index...IVIC&year=1993

Old 04-13-06, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by snguy82
Hi guys,

I have a crack on my rear bumper and I think water is getting into the car from there.

I was wondering how I would go about fixing this problem. Is it possible to use fiberglass matts and "bondo-hair" (aka. kitty hair) to fix cracks in fiberglass bumpers?

Guess my question is that will "bondo-hair" adhere to fiberglass/plastic bumpers? Or should I buy one of those "fiberglass-repair" kits?

thank you
Hey thanx for the link man,
My car is really old, so Im trying not to buy any parts if I dont have to. The crack is not that big, so I'll try to fix it if I can. If not then, yes, I'll be force to buy a replacement bumper cover.
The front also has a small crack which must be addressed also, so it could end up costing quite a bit. Im a university student on a tight budget.

Guess I'll end up buying those bumper-repair kits. The reason Im asking about "bondo-glass" is b/c I'll be fixing rust holes with it and figure I can use it on my bumper too. Just to be efficient!

But I appreciate the link. I live in Canada and shipping to canada on a large object could be costly and customs and all that mess.

thanx!
steve

Old 04-14-06, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Forgive me, but it sounds like you're rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. If I was on a tight budget, fixing cracked bumpers on a rusty 13 year old car would be pretty far down my budget. You might check junkyards [aka auto recyclers] for intact bumper covers; might even find the same color.

Old 04-14-06, 06:16 AM
Why not just go ahead and try the Bondo/fiber glas repair? At this point you have nothing to lose. imho

Old 04-14-06, 10:57 AM
It's not fiberglass
A replacement cover or this stuff
http://www.handsontools.com/store/sh...roduct_id=9059
or something similar is needed

Old 04-14-06, 01:10 PM
That was exactly what I was trying to inquire about. Ways to fix my bumper.

Thanx for the link, this is helpful!

Old 04-14-06, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Forgive me, but it sounds like you're rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. If I was on a tight budget, fixing cracked bumpers on a rusty 13 year old car would be pretty far down my budget. You might check junkyards [aka auto recyclers] for intact bumper covers; might even find the same color.

I appreciate your opinion. Im on a tight budget, yes cuz Im a student. And yes, its a 13 year old car that I love and drive everday. I just want to fix up a few things as a DIY job, firstly cuz I like to learn how to do these kind of things myself and secondly, cuz its an old car I dont want to pay too much to get it fix, but at same time I want a decent car to drive.

I didnt realize its such a big deal to inquire on how to do things urself when your on a tight budget. Im sure everyone's been there before.

but thanks guys awesome help.

steve

Old 04-15-06, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Been there, but we also like to point options, alternatives, and possible flaws in plans.

My apologies for any offense.

Old 04-17-06, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Been there, but we also like to point options, alternatives, and possible flaws in plans.

My apologies for any offense.

No harm done!
Thank you, I appreciate your eagerness to help. Alternatives are always welcome!

Old 05-18-11, 08:30 PM
Cracked plastic Honda civic 2004 coupe bumper on snow bank, fixed w fiberglass

This is meant to be instructional.

Cracked the front bumper, even lost a chunk.

I wanted a quick, easy repair. I scored the inside of the bumper, at least 1in from the cracks (used a regular power drill with the bit at an angle). I taped the pieces back into place with painter's masking tape from the front. I laid down one layer of fiber glass mesh with resin (as per instructions on box) as wide as the scoring. I then finished the rest of the resin and mesh, generously layering it over the first layer in order to provide more support. 24 hours later I peeled off the tape and put my bumper back on.

Check the pictures for details
2004 Honda Civic Coupe - bumper fix pictures by switzeroo - Photobucket