"Volt" light came on and I lost power steering

Old 04-12-06, 11:36 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Volt" light came on and I lost power steering

Well, the title pretty much sums up my problem. I drive a 1998 Buick Le Sabre. It's got a V6 and automatic transmission. The car has about 177,000 miles on it right now and I do a lot of driving - probably about 2500 miles a month.

I was driving down the road a few minutes ago, noticed that the "Volt" light came on, with a picture indicating the battery, and I lost power steering and couldn't accelerate. I pulled over, turned the car off, and turned it back on and it ran fine - no light and no trouble.

Could this mean my alternator's going out or maybe my battery's bad?

Old 04-12-06, 11:42 AM
Are you sure it didn't just stall ?? With all that you lost it sounds like it quit running on you.

Old 04-12-06, 11:44 AM
A
It may have - what happens in a stall? I don't have a lot of experience working on my own car so please be gentle.

Old 04-12-06, 12:39 PM
G
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You pretty much answered your own question. about what happens. The real question is why did it happen. Possibly you had a momentary loss of power thru the ignition switch. Try jiggling the key with the engine running. If you have numerous keys on the key ring, it could have shut off power. The actual switch is under the dash, on the steering column. It is controlled by a rod from the key, thru the column, to the switch. The actual switch could also have a loose wire or be slightly out of adjustment.

Old 04-12-06, 05:33 PM
B
It does sound like it stalled, and also a diagnostic trouble code may have set. You might want to have the car checked for these.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: