Chev/GMC Steering issues

Old 04-13-06, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Chev/GMC Steering issues

I had my 2004 GMC pkup at the dealer for a odd noise and feel
in the steering wheel. Thinking i was going to have a tough time explaining my complaint to the service manager,to my surprise he said "yup! i think i know the problem".
Well,the the seals in the "half-shaft" had detererated and they replaced them with a new seal kit. Fortunetly the truck is still under warranty with only 11000 miles so its not a high mileage issue.
Any GM truck owners have any knowledge about this?

Thanks

Old 04-13-06, 07:50 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are refering to the steering intermediate shaft, that is a known issue, no big deal. I don't know what you are describing as a half-shaft.

Old 04-13-06, 10:19 AM
Dealer and GM customer support refer to it as both, a half-shaft and intermediate shaft.
I consider it a big deal if,as the service manager says that i can expect it to need to be serviced again 8k-10k. $150 for the seal kit and around $50-$90 labor doesn't seem right. GM admits its a issue with several of their model year trucks,sierras
and Silverados and are trying to correct it. I'd like to know how many others have had this problem.

Old 04-13-06, 10:40 AM
S
Smile

Originally Posted by daswede
Dealer and GM customer support refer to it as both, a half-shaft and intermediate shaft.
I consider it a big deal if,as the service manager says that i can expect it to need to be serviced again 8k-10k. $150 for the seal kit and around $50-$90 labor doesn't seem right. GM admits its a issue with several of their model year trucks,sierras
and Silverados and are trying to correct it. I'd like to know how many others have had this problem.
The intermediate shaft has no seal kit, they just grease it.

Old 04-13-06, 11:00 AM
Mine has seals seal kit,part # 26098419 on invoice.
Yeah! a zerk fitting would probably solve the problem,but GM in their wisdom thought that would be too expensive to install.

Old 04-13-06, 11:40 AM
I just came across a web site that addressed the intermediate shaft question.
Its pretty common,and in cars to ,from 1999 and on. There is a lube/seal kit that solves the issue for a short time though.
The fix can be done by a DIY if you have the tools,agility to climb under the dash and engine compartment,and are comfortable playing with your steering.

Old 04-13-06, 09:12 PM
M
Just make sure you do not turn the steering wheel while the intermediate shaft is out. If it the shaft is installed with the wheel not in it's original position, you WILL damage the SIR coil.

Old 04-14-06, 11:38 AM
Talking

I probably found the same site you referred to. Yeah! don't move the steering wheel once you have disconnected everything. I think i'll just let the dealer do it because repairs are guranteed for 12 mos./12k miles. Maybe with my coming back for a warranty fix they might just find a permanent repair.

Old 04-14-06, 03:16 PM
M
dont count on it

Gm is pretty slow on fixing known problems.Just look around at all the GMs with a burnt out driving light it has been that way for years and still is.
Look at all the older GM with peeling paint it took years to fix.

Old 04-14-06, 03:54 PM
B
You can fix this your self, just unbolt the coupler under the hood and slide the intermediate shaft in and out a few times to disperse the grease and it will be like new again for 7500 miles. Do be careful the steering wheel does not rotate while you have the shaft unhooked. Not the end of the world if it happens, because u can re-time the sir coil. But save your self the hassle.

Old 04-14-06, 04:11 PM
M
just for my info

Is it possible to lock the steering wheel using the steering lock while doing this procedure?
Just a thought.

Old 04-14-06, 10:59 PM
M
There is a tool that comes in new columns from the factory to keep them in the centered position. I have a ton of these pin type tools and use them frequently when doing intermediate shafts, or column jobs for that matter. Yes you can reclock the SIR coil, but some people do not know this and decide to spin the wheel to hell. We had a few come in the shop with the coils torn from people not knowing what they were doing.

Old 04-15-06, 10:59 AM
S
Originally Posted by Mr. Dummas
There is a tool that comes in new columns from the factory to keep them in the centered position. I have a ton of these pin type tools and use them frequently when doing intermediate shafts, or column jobs for that matter. Yes you can reclock the SIR coil, but some people do not know this and decide to spin the wheel to hell. We had a few come in the shop with the coils torn from people not knowing what they were doing.
Would be nice to know where the lock pin goes, and is it located in about the same place for most GM models? Thanks

Old 04-15-06, 08:25 PM
M
Pretty much the same on all GM columns. It goes in from the bottom side. There is a hole in the lower trim cover.

Old 04-16-06, 02:36 PM
S
Originally Posted by Mr. Dummas
Pretty much the same on all GM columns. It goes in from the bottom side. There is a hole in the lower trim cover.
Thanks for the information.

Old 04-17-06, 07:57 AM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Are you saying that it is GM's fault the light burn't out?

Originally Posted by michael van
Gm is pretty slow on fixing known problems.Just look around at all the GMs with a burnt out driving light it has been that way for years and still is.
Look at all the older GM with peeling paint it took years to fix.

Old 04-17-06, 08:19 AM
I also heard of the DRl problem when i checked on the intermediate shaft issue. Something about bad bulbs and/or sockets.
I didn't care for the running lights anyhow, so i pulled the fuse. Solved that issue for me anyway.

Old 04-17-06, 01:08 PM
B
Seventeen years working on Chevies, and I have never seen a hole for a lock pin. I must be missing something here.
If there's a seal in the kit, it's to temporarily plug the shaft so the grease can be forced down the splines.
And if it's GM's fault the drl's burned out, it's because they ordered them built to insufficient specs.

Old 04-17-06, 01:20 PM
Try this link for Intermediate shaft Lube

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=26036

Old 04-17-06, 02:41 PM
M
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
Seventeen years working on Chevies, and I have never seen a hole for a lock pin. I must be missing something here.
If there's a seal in the kit, it's to temporarily plug the shaft so the grease can be forced down the splines.
And if it's GM's fault the drl's burned out, it's because they ordered them built to insufficient specs.

Bigguy, have you ever got a new column right from GM? If you have, the new column would've had one in it. Have you heard of the J tool J42640 anti rotation pin? Well, that is it.

Ditto on the seal issue, there is only a plug for inserting the grease. Afterwards, the plug is removed.

Old 04-17-06, 02:44 PM
M
If I knew how to post pics here, I would post a pic of the bottom of a GM steering column to show where the pin would go.

If you need a picture, pm me your email and I will send one.

Old 04-17-06, 03:01 PM
M
for my info about Drls

Just for my info what is the deal with the DRLs on GM trucks seems like 8 out of 10 trucks have one out.
Is there a recall?Why do they continue to put defective parts in year after year or do they just have such a stock pile.
I just want to know I for one would be frustrated if my light was out because I like everything working.Please educate me.

Old 04-17-06, 08:10 PM
M
There is no recall I know of. They burn out because the bulbs cannot handle the amperage for long periods of time. There is a heavy duty bulb out now that is supposed to last longer. I'll have to look and see what the nuber on the bulb is tomorrow.

Old 04-17-06, 10:15 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
I don't buy that...Show us a light bulb that will never fail.
Originally Posted by bigguy05641

Old 04-18-06, 06:14 AM
M
do not know why

do not know if it is a bad bulb supplier or a bad socket or what I just know that GM trucks are are prone to the what I call one eye syndrome.
Many other cars and trucks out on the road and they are all working.
As a matter of fact I like to play a game and count the number of one eyes on the road it is a very high number with 99.8 per cent being late model GM trucks.
Even 05 and 06 models are still prone to the one eye after so many years GM needs to do something to make it right.

Old 04-18-06, 10:36 AM
S
Buy the bulb with an X, extended life. My 04 Malibu burned out a DRL at 10,000 miles, my Sonoma with the head light DRL is still good at 50K. I wonder why they dropped the head light DRL, simple and reliable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: