1989 chev truck oil leak

Old 04-14-06, 08:42 PM
1989 chev truck oil leak

I have an 1989 chev 2500 extended cab pickup with a 350 CID targetmaster motor installed in 1997. The motor has approximately 120k miles on it. It is leaking motor oil from the rear of the motor. It comes out of the hole in the little cover between the motor and transmission. About 1/2 quart of oil per tank of gas is lost. The motor runs fine other than this. Could someone tell me the most like cause of this and the procedure for repair?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-06, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by hansen
I have an 1989 chev 2500 extended cab pickup with a 350 CID targetmaster motor installed in 1997. The motor has approximately 120k miles on it. It is leaking motor oil from the rear of the motor. It comes out of the hole in the little cover between the motor and transmission. About 1/2 quart of oil per tank of gas is lost. The motor runs fine other than this. Could someone tell me the most like cause of this and the procedure for repair?
most likely back crankshaft seal is damaged, it usually requires engine to be lifted a little to fix this, i'd say take it to a shop for a quote if trucks is in good condition,may be a DIY Job if you have all the right tools.

Old 04-14-06, 10:05 PM
You may want to inspect the intake manifold first. When the seal goes bad on the rear of the manifold, it will leak oil down the back of the block and drip out of the inspection cover hole also. But if you take it in, the tech will let you know what all is leaking also. You decide what you need to do based on the knowledge you have. As for the rear main seal, I find them very easy to replace, but then again, I am a technician. If you do decide to take this job on yourself, we can walk you through the repair if need be. We are here to help you get the job done.

Old 04-15-06, 03:17 AM
As gravity would have it, always start at the top whem looking for an oil leak. The intake is a good possability. Also the rear main seal and oil pan gaskets are a possability. That's a one piece rear main seal, so sliding the transmission back is the procedure versus lifting the engine for that one. Sounds like a pretty good leak so it might be the seal has been pushed out of where it's supposed to sit.

Old 04-16-06, 02:54 PM
Thanks, I think I will attempt it myself, however it will be a week or so as I have a project mounting a loader on a tractor that I want to finish first.