01 Ford F250 4X4 Transmission leaks help

Old 04-14-06, 11:06 PM
Question 01 Ford F250 4X4 Transmission leaks help

Vehicle: 2001 F250 4X4, short bed, quad cab truck, with 7.3 liter diesel engine. Has 63,000 miles on it. Orginial owner. Never been off road with it.

Ok, today noticed transmission fluid on driveway in different spots, and leaking all the way down the drive where I had drove the truck. Has a load of mulch in bed of truck also. Checked the fluid level and it was not even registering on the stick. Checked underneath as a look/see and thought maybe the sealing needed to be replaced...and hoped for the best.

Called one transmission place and they would get me a free estimate. Went over and he said they test drove it, and transmission is working fine, no external damage, so it must be internal problem. He thought the pump was probably out inside transmission. At this point, I have no idea what he is talking about cause I don't know transmissions. Then he said he would have to rebuild the transmission and it would cost $1500.

I told him I would think about it, and left with truck. Decided to research other transmission companies and found a local one that has a lot of great feedback and been around 20 years, etc. Closed on weekends, so he can't see it until Monday.

Husband is freaking out and upset about what the guy at AAmco told us about the 1500 rebuild. The sign there states any internal repair requires a rebuilt transmission in his office. I didn't trust him, or at least want a second opinion.

Ok, questions:
1. Can a computer diagnostic be done to determine the cause of the leaking fluid?
2. Anything my husband can do over the weekend to be able to SEE exactly where the fluid is leaking? If he takes off cover, will this help him locate where the leak is occuring from the transmission?
3. Why isn't the truck displaying any transmission driving problems?
4. We added fluid we had here at the house, and so far there is still some in the truck. It isn't draining as fast as it looked like it was earlier with the load on the truck. Is that a variable in this problem?
5. 7.3 Liter Diesel engine~ any diagnostic steps we can do ourselves over the weekend so we don't get ripped off by a mechanic? So we have more knowledge about the problem.
6. Is $1500 a good price for this service?
7. Is this common for a truck with only 63,000 original miles, and orginal owner that is adamant about changing the oil, oil filters, real end diffiential oil, etc. on a set schedule he does it faithfully himself. He is very mechanically inclined except for transmission. He looks like a wounded puppy not able to go out and work on it, and knowing how complicated the transmission can be.
8. I guess the burning issue I have ...or question..is there any way for us to look and see if the fluid is leaking from the sealant? Can we crawl underneath and find out this for sure?
9. Anywhere I can find out what parts are inside a 7.3 liter transmission? I don't even know if it has pumps.

Ok, I am the wife, and wanted to ask for all your comments and suggestions. This site has always been good to me, and you have helped me so much in the past.

Researched on the internet and this company Aamco has a lot of complaints for their service listed. This is when I became concerned that their standard motto may be ...you need a rebuilt transmission.

Of course, $1500 is a lot of money for us on a budget, and it will take all our cash to barely have enough to cover this amount. Can he continued to drive truck this way if he keeps checking the fluid level? Will it hurt the truck if we have to wait until payday?

Thanks, Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-06, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by skarney
Vehicle: 2001 F250 4X4, short bed, quad cab truck, with 7.3 liter diesel engine. Has 63,000 miles on it. Orginial owner. Never been off road with it.

Ok, today noticed transmission fluid on driveway in different spots, and leaking all the way down the drive where I had drove the truck. Has a load of mulch in bed of truck also. Checked the fluid level and it was not even registering on the stick. Checked underneath as a look/see and thought maybe the sealing needed to be replaced...and hoped for the best.

Called one transmission place and they would get me a free estimate. Went over and he said they test drove it, and transmission is working fine, no external damage, so it must be internal problem. He thought the pump was probably out inside transmission. At this point, I have no idea what he is talking about cause I don't know transmissions. Then he said he would have to rebuild the transmission and it would cost $1500.

I told him I would think about it, and left with truck. Decided to research other transmission companies and found a local one that has a lot of great feedback and been around 20 years, etc. Closed on weekends, so he can't see it until Monday.

Husband is freaking out and upset about what the guy at AAmco told us about the 1500 rebuild. The sign there states any internal repair requires a rebuilt transmission in his office. I didn't trust him, or at least want a second opinion.

Ok, questions:
1. Can a computer diagnostic be done to determine the cause of the leaking fluid?
2. Anything my husband can do over the weekend to be able to SEE exactly where the fluid is leaking? If he takes off cover, will this help him locate where the leak is occuring from the transmission?
3. Why isn't the truck displaying any transmission driving problems?
4. We added fluid we had here at the house, and so far there is still some in the truck. It isn't draining as fast as it looked like it was earlier with the load on the truck. Is that a variable in this problem?
5. 7.3 Liter Diesel engine~ any diagnostic steps we can do ourselves over the weekend so we don't get ripped off by a mechanic? So we have more knowledge about the problem.
6. Is $1500 a good price for this service?
7. Is this common for a truck with only 63,000 original miles, and orginal owner that is adamant about changing the oil, oil filters, real end diffiential oil, etc. on a set schedule he does it faithfully himself. He is very mechanically inclined except for transmission. He looks like a wounded puppy not able to go out and work on it, and knowing how complicated the transmission can be.
8. I guess the burning issue I have ...or question..is there any way for us to look and see if the fluid is leaking from the sealant? Can we crawl underneath and find out this for sure?
9. Anywhere I can find out what parts are inside a 7.3 liter transmission? I don't even know if it has pumps.

Ok, I am the wife, and wanted to ask for all your comments and suggestions. This site has always been good to me, and you have helped me so much in the past.

Researched on the internet and this company Aamco has a lot of complaints for their service listed. This is when I became concerned that their standard motto may be ...you need a rebuilt transmission.

Of course, $1500 is a lot of money for us on a budget, and it will take all our cash to barely have enough to cover this amount. Can he continued to drive truck this way if he keeps checking the fluid level? Will it hurt the truck if we have to wait until payday?

Thanks, Susan
I doubt they will rebuild tranny for only $ 1500 that's too cheap to be real IMO but anyways, it could be a seal or a gasket since tranny is working fine, best way is get under vehicle ,follow safety procedures, and try to look around to see if you can determine where leak is coming from, what i'd do is take it to dealership for around $ 110 they'll give you an exact cause of problem, you don't have to have them fix it if you don't want to you can take it to another shop.
Call your Ford dealership first.

Old 04-16-06, 04:07 PM
pump?

I dont think it is the pump leaking it is inside and if it were bad truck would not move or move only in one direction.I am no transmission expert but I had a pump go out on a chevrolet and that is what it did.
Get a second opinion if you ask me.

Old 04-16-06, 06:11 PM
Thanks for replying to my message. I will take to Ford for a diagnostic test on the tranny. This other place ..National Transmission, said they can run a diagnostic also for a price.

Ford dealership is backed up with service for about three days. I actually called them first to see if warranty was good still.

So, is it possible to drive it still if I keep putting transmission fluid in it? I mean, I know it is possible, but wonder how much More damage it could cause, if any?

Old 04-16-06, 06:44 PM
depends on the leak

You could drive it it depends on the leak I would keep it down as much as possible if it leaks pretty bad.also do not be tempted to overfill it because what might be a small problem like a blown gasket can turn into a big problem.
Try to find problem yourself if you can you have plenty of room on a 4X4 to crawl uder it and clean up the mess and pin point the leak.

Old 04-16-06, 07:04 PM
Thanks for helping. It doesn't leak at all when sitting in the driveway. When I found out it was below low, I added fluid and it stayed in there. Even the mechanic asked me why I had fluid...and that makes me wonder~ did he have a clue what was wrong? I told him I added it. It seemed to have all come out at one time during the haul of mulch, and while backing up. Does that make sense? That is when I noticed all the fluid stains on the conrete and it was spots on the conrete along the way, and spots looking on the road where I pulled in.

Really worried about it. I don't know how I am going to afford this, and didn't see it coming. no credit cards. Have a job, but dang it pays the basics. ok...just venting now. sorry

Old 01-13-08, 06:03 PM
Follow up for all the people that read this thread - ended up the transmission was bad in the truck. We thought about what we had used it for and probably had too much weight in the back could be what happened - but it had transmission problems at 36000 miles and warranty repairs done free.

So...we researched the transmission on the internet on Ford F250 and this diesel engine and year. We found other trucks were goign on their fourth transmission repair and under a 100K mileage. We decided to change it out with a Banks which was expensive or more then Ford's. Husband did the work himself. At the end of his work he took it to the best rep in town to finish the job on the truck. We bought the transmission jack, etc. and almost the entire job.

I feel so much more confident it will not have to be replaced again -

How we afforded it - we have always given our older vehicles to our younger brother and sisters - brother gave us back the old 92 Ranger to drive while we saved enough money to pay as we went -

It was four months to pay the cost of the banks transmission order, and to pay for the tranmission company to check to make sure he did it right - Fantastic company - the owner actually gave info over the phone instead of bring it in and we will check it out -

Of course - hubby has no fear of working on his vehicles -

So the solution was don't repeat mistake with the same Ford Transmission. If you can do the labor - do it. If you need partial help like we did, then call around and they will do it.

Sacrifice to make a better choice - pay with money you have - we did not put anything on credit -

Thank you all. This site is great.

Old 01-13-08, 07:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad to see you got it resolved! It hurts the wallet when these things happen, but Banks is well known, and reliable company so you should be good to go! Now you just need their nice supercharger.

Old 01-14-08, 09:38 AM
Please don't tell my husband about it -

he is looking at putting some type of air intake system on it - for better mileage

Old 12-26-09, 02:44 PM
Hi Skarney,

I also have a Ford F250 Diesel... I purchased it about a year ago and it only has 55K miles on it. Christmas Eve day the tranny starts acting irregularly. I take it to the AAMCO and yes they want to rebuild it. I don't disagree that there is not something seriously wrong with the tranny. My question is what is Banks Transmission? Where can I get more information regarding that product. I am very skeptical about Ford at this point. A "Super Duty" heavy truck should not need tranny work at 55K! Have you guys been happy with the Banks? Any issues?

Thanks for your post....nice to get someone else's opinion about this issue.

Old 12-26-09, 04:44 PM
Depending on the year of your truck that is a known weak link in the power train.
My husband put in a Banks torque converter with a transcommand (helps control line pressure to the trans) and that was 40,000 miles ago. Have not had any problems.

We did have to rebuild the trans because it had metal parts in the pan. We used a local trans shop instead of a chain

Have you added any power improvements to your engine? What year truck do you have?