A/c Stuck On Defrost Mode

Old 04-15-06, 09:44 AM
t-bird
Visiting Guest
A/c Stuck On Defrost Mode

87 FORD T-BIRD 3.8
THE A/C WORKS GREAT BUT THE AIR ONLY COMES OUT THRU THE DE-FROST VENTS ONLY. IF THE LEVER IS SLID FROM MAX TO NORMAL, THEN TO MIX, AND LAST TO 'VENT' THERE IS NO CHANGE IN THE DIRECTION OF THE COLD AIR. THE AIR CONTINUES TO BE JETTED THRU THE DASH DEFROST VENTS.

Old 04-15-06, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I assume that your slide control between defrost, panel, and heat (floor) setting is vacuum operated, as my car is. I had the same thing that happened and I lucked out and found a thin plastic (not rubber) vacuum tube that branched off from my booster pump and the tube got crunchy and broke. I cut out the break and reinserted, not knowing what I would be correcting, only to discover that all my heat controls now work and mine is no longer stuck on defrost! (If that wasn't the problem, then months of it not working...stuck on defrost (like yours)...and then working suddenly when I made that repair, would be a pretty good coincidence. And that tube did go thru my firewall into the dash area, also.)

Therefore, I suspect that SOMEwhere you have a break in your vacuum delivery system; bad tube or bad diaphram. My guess anyway. I'd look under the hood for starters, like I did. Then if need to be I'd contact a garage known to work on your type of vehicle and ask them where these components are located, if you can't find stuff yourself. The diaphram is going to buried under the dash I presume, unfortunately. So hope you have easy access to some broken tube somewhere. I believe that library books with Chiltons, Haines and Mitchell may not show every little detail about the break down (exploded view) in the heat delievery system but it is worth a check.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: