Transmission repairs questions??

Old 04-17-06, 12:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transmission repairs questions??

Hi again,

Ford F250 4X4, E40D Engine. Transmission problems diagnosed by Ford Motor Company on their computer as needing a new torque converter, and the transmission is leaking out the front pump. Northing is damaged yet according to Ford.

They would like $1800 to fix all of the above. My husband wants to do it himself.

I am concerned. How much will it cost in parts, and what will he need to buy? Does he need a transmission rebuild kit? Does that include the pump, or will it fix the pump part? Also does he purchase the torque converter also?

I am worried he will have his truck apart for weeks and no vehicle. What amount of time does it normally take an average person to do this work themselves if they are mechanically inclined, and have a workshop of tools. We have the huge compressor that will take off any bolt so that would speed things up, he has/is getting the shop manual by Ford on rebuilding it.

Are there any websites that show diagrams, instructions or anything about rebuilding a transmission? I google searched and only found sites selling a new transmission or a transmission store.

Thanks again for all your help and support I get here.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-06, 06:23 PM
S
ok, found out we do purchase the parts and what they will cost.

So, only question now ...is how to do it ...got to find a shop manual.

Old 04-17-06, 06:51 PM
M
tough one

The manuals you get at auto zone are pretty much worthless IMO and good for general repair,The best ones are the factory service manuels but a bit pricey.You might go on line and see if you can find one on a CD.

Old 04-17-06, 09:01 PM
I just hope your don't end up paying more in the long run or have your husband do all the work and not get it right or causing more damage afterwards
how do you figure you can just get a manual and with no previous experience rebuild a transmission ?
good luck anyways.

Old 04-18-06, 03:08 AM
B
have you checked around at different transmission shops to see what they charge for a rebuilt transmission with exchange you could install it yourself remove the old one and install the rebuilt tranny.
dont think you will want to tackle rebuilding the tranny while you may be able to fix the leak if its just a seal or a cracked convertor depending on what you find when you get the transmission out.

Old 04-18-06, 01:19 PM
R
Unless you have a lift and a good transmission jack,I wouldn't attempt it.This tranny is massive as well as the transfer case.I'm a 15 year transmission tech and I wouldn't attempt it.I have the scars from back surgery to back it up.He really doesn't want that mammoth to roll off the jack.It will hurt you.

Old 04-18-06, 02:56 PM
S
Well I know or he knows he can replace the torque converter himself. He was going to rent a transmission jack. He has rebuild an engine before, but I know the transmission is more intensive.

He called the local place folks recommend, and he wants to upgrade the torque convertor in the truck to a better quality one. The shop said if we bring him the parts, they will do the installation and fix the front pump inside tranny.

So, since we can't afford this right now...Parents are bringing us a truck from Florida to Texas on Friday for him to drive. We borrowed one of my brother's vehicles until the other truck gets here.

1. Ford wants $1800 for the repairs to the pump and replace torque converter with standard equipment. We have $1400 saved.
2. Aamco wants $1500. However, they have some complaints at the BBB.
3. National Transmission - called and spoke to the manager there and he said...The upgrade torque convertor is $350, and National Transmission will install it when they fix the pump on transmission. Probably end up costing about $1800 also. However, better torque conv. which Ford will not do.

I think we will have someone else do the work. I am with you on the making a mistake and getting seriously injured. Although, we did increase his life insurance,...it could never replace him.

Thanks again, comments welcome

Susan