How to remove harmonic balancer on a Pontiac Transport

Old 04-17-06, 04:24 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
How to remove harmonic balancer on a Pontiac Transport

1993, Pontiac Trasport Van, automatic, 3.9 engine. I originally had a problem removing the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer because I was going CW. Now the bolt is off although this harmonic B or crankshaft pulley is different from what I have seen before. I don't see a key to prevent the balancer from spinning. I wonder if I will be able to remove this with a bearing puller or is the balancer/pulley screwed on the to crankshaft? Lost my manual to see how it is mounted and not planning to buy a new one because I will give this away when fixed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 03:13 AM
you should be able to remove it with a balancer puller there is some small threaded holes in the balancer you will have to look close at the balancer to see them but they are there and they are an odd ball size cant remember the thread size. it does use a keyway just wont be able to see it till you remove the balancer.

Old 04-19-06, 07:17 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I was able to remove it with a bearing/gear puller. Auto zone didn't have any harmonic balancer I can use because the correct bolt size in the set they have was missing. I bought the 3 claw bearing puller instead and used two of the claws, worked like a charm. Yeah! the key can only be seen when the pulley is out...
Many thanks again